Wheelboxes XK120 OTS

Bob, the stamping of the holes changed too. The ambidextrous ones have slots, the L/R sets have a hole and a slot.

I wonder where they got the defroster vent boxes. They certainly would have designed them to clear the braces… it was easier (and cheaper) to use a ‘bin part’ for the defroster and modify and existing stamping with a shear.

By my gauge it’s 18g - .05 inch.
Garry

My son has kindly used CAD to put together a drawing in an iges (Initial Graphics Exchange Specification) file which I’d be happy to share with Richard et al. It’s might not be 100% accurate but it’s pretty close. PM me if interested.

Since I know now how these brackets look like, I have gone through a lot of “scrap” I still had and of wich I didn´t know what it was for.
I was lucky and found the two brackets, they have been cleaned and painted and will be build in this week.
Thank´s for your offer.

Thanks, Richard. No problem, well done. Mine went in the 1960s so I’ll now get some made.

I was today researching installing the wheelboxes when I encountered an anomaly in the brain trust.

The orientation of the RHS wheelbox in @BruceG’s pic

agrees with @ysmalkie’s RHS pic

which means the LHS wheelbox is oriented opposite

but Viart on p. 318 shows the order the other way round.

Which is right … or are both right?

Not something you want to mess up.

Hi Nick,. I think it has to do with LHD or RHD and where you want to park the wipers. I think they are the same wheelhouses, but just flipped depending on where your steering wheel is…

I guess that make sense. Usually Viart flags the distinction between LHD and RHD cars. (Fabulous resource, btw. I’d be lost without Viart’s tome.)

Nothing to do with LHD vs RHD, Viart may have drawn from a car that had them opposite to Bruce and Tadek. Either way will work, but the pair must be opposite, not identical orientation.
On the Mark V saloon with single flat windscreen they are identically mounted and wave together.

1 Like

Thanks Rob; I stand corrected. …and yes, my experience came from my MkV.

Thanks, gents.

Not that I’ll be driving this car in the rain much anyway … :sunglasses:

The wiper arms on Mark V are different for LHD vs RHD, both curving one way to lay flat when parked. On 120 you want one of each so they both lay flat when parked.

Pointing inward or outward?

Rob,

I think it has to do with the access to the wheelboxes - if you mount them the other way the vents are in the way.

One of my vents was actually cut to gain access t the wheelbox.

Nick,

Note the grommets where the wire passing through the scuttle supports:

Not to mention the grommets for the washer fluid tube:

You do have my grommet list?

Tadek

1 Like

Thanks, Tadek. That’s helpful. My LHS demister has the same cutout. Yes! I have your grommet list.

Outward; I don’t think they will fit pointing inward.

Of course if you stop them there they will be signalling a “touchdown” or “field goal”. :grin:

1 Like

Ah. I see clearly now. The wiper arms can be oriented only one way. The thing I wasn’t understanding is how the wheelboxes can be either/or, just so long as they’re installed as opposites. Looking at them from the inside, regardless how they’re oriented, the mechanism on the right must rotate about a quarter turn anti-clockwise on the up stroke while the one on the left must turn clockwise. All else being equal, if you were to switch the boxes side to side and maintain their orientation then the rotation would be 180 degrees out.

So, if you were to orient the wheelboxes consistent with Tadek’s and Bruce’s pictures then the armature in the gearbox needs to be fully extended in the push position whereas if you orient the wheelboxes according to Viart’s diagram then the armature needs to be fully retracted in the pull position.

Now I geddit.

Onward.

Mine too. At some point they all had to be, for the OTS anyway.