Wheelboxes XK120 OTS

it doesn´t seem to be a very interesting subject because I can´t find a subject on this.
I am in a restoration project on my XK120 OTS 1952 and wondering how this screen wiper assy is installed.
These wheel boxes for the wipers must be mounted on some bracket I think but I cannot find any foto´s or description how to do that in the literature.
Also the -spare parts catalogue- doesn´t give any answer.
Is there anybody who can help me, please.

Welcome Richard.
This is from the XK120 Spare Parts Catalogue in the Electrical section.
You want part C.4052 Bracket, mounting Wheelboxes (2)

Bernard Viart’s XK120 book shows the FHC version of this bracket, which is a different part number C5224, on pages 317 and 357.
This is my FHC.

So I think the OTS version must be a similar L bracket with holes that fit the wheelbox and to some holes under the windshield dashboard area.

Hello Ron,
thanks for your quick reply, the Jag-Lovers forum functions, happy to be here.
The OTS is quit different from the FHC referring to the wheelboxes, i have put some foto´s in this reply.
I think you are right concerning the numbers C.4052 but I would very much like to see a foto of it.
Here in Holland or Germany nobody has this artikel Nr.
Do you know where I could eventually get these brackets?

Richard van den Heuvel

Pic shows the wiper gearbox bracket on the right hand side of a LHD OTS

Hello Bruce,
Thank you so much this is great, at least I know now how it looks like.
My car is an RHD OTS but that should not make a difference I think.
I would need two of those parts of wich I presume the part nr. is indeed C.4052.
Do you know where I can find them?

Richard

Richard:

You might try Welsh Jaguar Enterprises in Ohio, U.S. as they carry used Jaguar parts or Coventry Auto Components in the U.K. (a bit closer for you) as they also carry used parts.

Chris.

Thank´s Chris, I´ll try.

I’m also looking for two of C4052 but I’ve not seen the part listed in any well known UK supplier. Does anyone know how they are attached? Thanks.

suppose they are mounted on the three holes underneath the wheelboxes as you can see on my foto´s.

These pix are of Tadek’s car which he restored a few years ago.

Thanks, Richard. I bought my 120 OTS in the 60s. At some stage it had been rescued from a scrapyard (good) but then a Vauxhall windscreen had been welded on (very bad). C4052 must have been dumped at the same time. Until now I’d never seen what they look like (thanks, Rob) and I suppose there’s little demand for them from parts suppliers. Fabrication may be the answer.

Would it be standard for lh demister vent to have side trimmed of it?

I think so; you’ll notice the wheelboxes are mounted in opposite orientations, so that the wipers clap hands rather than do a waving duet.
Perhaps someone who has these removed from their car could do a tracing on graph paper, so a metal fabricator could make these.

I just took my wiper system out today. It looks like I’m too late to be of any help, but if anything comes up, post it. I’ll tune in and maybe have a answer.

I did find that the grease in the motor’s gearbox fell out in chunks (parked in NM heat since 1973). Of all my British restos, this is the first motor I don’t have to send out, after oiling, it’s running just fine.

I’m surprised it doesn’t have a park function… I guess a bit too early for that.

Yes. Mine ('53 OTS) is notched this way.

Richard, In the event you have to fabricate these, here are a few detail shots to get you started. The brackets are turned so the gearbox is co-palnar to the glass and the post is perpendicular, ie: the left is turned to the left, the right is turned to the right.

BTW, a few years ago my wife an I spent 10 days in your area, We spent a few days in Amsterdam and traveled down to Antwerp, Edam, and then to Bruges. We had a wonderful time.

Hope this helps. You’ll have to excuse the very amateur tracing - I’ve a badly injured thumb.

1 Like

You should post dimensions of X, Y, Z.

Thank you Andrus, for making all the efforts for drawings and foto´s.
Hope your thump didn´t suffer too much.
This is a great help wenn it´s necessary to make them new.
It might be that I have still some stuff in a box somewhere and now I know how they look like I also know where to search for.

Lovely that you enjoyed Holland and Belgium during your stay here, maybe you do it again in future and then my car will be finished and drive again. I hope to get it ready by the end of this year.
Thanks again and all the best.
Richard

1 Like

It would seem from Gazzam’s tracings and photos that his left and right are the same and therefore he does not have the windscreen vents.
I suspect that when the factory added the heater and vents, they just whacked off the corner of these brackets. But they didn’t bother or forgot to give them L&R part no.s in the book.
The grid is metric; the large squares are 10mm and the small squares are 2mm.
The hole spacing of the wheelbox is 3-1/8" or 79.375mm if you want to scale everything from there.
The blank sheet looks to be about 5" x 7".
Material thickness?