When to install body trim clips?

I’m working hard on my Mk2 prepping it for paint with a June deadline. Looking at the holes where the trim clips rivet on and got thinking about it. I recall no paint behind them when I drilled them off. I have the car in epoxy primer and probably don’t want to have too much material under them when I rivet the clips back on. So I think I should avoid getting high build primer on those areas and install them before paint? Thoughts?

I recommend installing them AFTER paint. Doing so before will create a layer of paint on the clips themselves and make installing the trim strips more touchy.

When I painted my MKII, I redrilled the original holes after primer, but before paint. It made installing the clips and the trim strips much easier.

Ok, my concern is cracked paint when riveted. Maybe I’m over thinking again.

Also painting doors on or off?

I’m thinking on and spraying the jams before installing. Sure would be nicer with the doors off, but the fronts are not easy to get on or off without marring the paint on the front edge of door or front fender.

The 1/8th rivets will not crack the paint, particularly if its recent. They may “nestle” into it a bit, but the trim strip will cover it. You won’t be able to see them once the strip is in place.

You get a much better coverage and finish with the doors off. For refitting the doors, work out a way to have the doors supported at about the right height and ease them gradually into place. You can protect exposed edges with strips of masking tape, lightly attached.

For a different car, I leant the doors against a wall upside down, inner side out. This way, you can get a good coating on the bottom and sides and inner face. I then moved them to a hanging frame, right side up, to paint the rest.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. Front doors are the real concern with the top hinge. It’s very tight installing the bolts to the door. The hinges must be secured to the car. I know the factory had the doors fitted when painted, as there was bare metal behind the hinges.

I’m thinking of trying a fitting this was while it’s in primer, so if it doesn’t go well it is easier to repair.

There will be a change in paint texture between painting the doors off.
Best to jamb everything and hang with Door aperature foam tape to control the overspray. If you damage anything it can be spotted just before the exterior paint.

Super That’s what I was leaning towards. I can have the doors fitted and set too.
Thanks!