Where do these belong?

I have just had all my plating of IRS parts delivered. I don’t recall the four shims. They are not for the fulcrum shaft mounting bracket. Are they from the IRS or are they rouge? 1/16" thick

Bonnet hinge shims.

Those look an awful lot like the castor shims used in the XKs, early saloons up to, I think, the Mark II, though not quite. The ends are less rounded.

Scratch that.

Given the context, I think they’re camber shims for the rear suspension … dimensions?

2 Likes

Does the parts book call those camber shims? I assumed they were for aligning the bracket holes with the cage holes so you aren’t having to bash the pinions in with a sledge. I thought the camber ones were the ones behind the axles.

2 Likes

Oh yes, you’re right, Erica. They’re identified only as “shims” in the service manual. Brain fart.

They look too thick for the dog bone shims and too big for castor shims. Hold them up against the front hinge and see if the spacing is right. I’m betting they are for that.

IRS shims.

1 Like

The outline on one gives a clue

I tend to agree with Terry, if they are 1/16" thick that is much thicker than the ones that shim the “dog bone” to the differential - they are 5 or 10 thou thick. Though the diagram in the parts list shows them as a single shim, they are now supplied as two separate “U” shaped shims so that you can shim the two bolts differently if required. At 1/16" thick, bonnet shims seems more likely to me…

Can we see a pic of the shims against a ruler?

This is a bonnet shim

One of two.

As do I.

They’re bonnet shims.

I’m holding off my vote until I see a pic of them against a ruler …

Measured photos (imp & metric) Definitely not for the bonnet hinge

I think I’ve solved it. I searched for shims in SNG site and spotted the boot hinge shim.

The boot is stripped at the moment so they must have migrated into the IRS bin!

thanks for all the suggestions and help

1 Like

By George, I think you’re right. :sunglasses:

I think you have uncovered the location of the shims: Thickness of yours?
Shims : BD6265/1 .036" Boot lid arm. BD6265/1 .064" Boot lid arm. Were used on all E-types but not shown in the Series 3 RTC parts catalogue! Thanks Jaguar!!!