Where to buy classic style air scoops?

I have fitted a cold air intake to my mk2 with the air filter sitting right behind the front right headlight, and I want to add some kind of scoop under the bumper to drive fresh air into the filter.

I’ve seen these types of scoops on vintage race cars… but where does one buy something similar? I ordered one plastic one from Amazon and it was way too big and looked very cheap.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Nice looking car. I say leave it alone. I don’t think an air scoop will have any real effect on boost.
P.

Haha not my car! I wish… I’m looking to add scoops like on this car to my car but cannot find them anywhere.

Sorry if my question was not clear.

What about a thin sheet of Aluminium easy to work with, make a cardboard template to help design it (CAD cardboard aided design)

1 Like

There will be NO ram effect, and it will not markedly improve performance, if at all.

Just realised that its a NZ car :slightly_smiling_face:
Wiggles the OP is just looking for cold air being directed into the air cleaner, not forced induction.

Fair enough: however, cold air ducted into the engine will only have a measurable increase of mental HP…:wink:

Hah thanks all… I know it’s not IMPERATIVE for performance, but I like the look on these vintage racers so I wanted to do something similar. That plastic one on eBay is like the one I already bought. Looks very cheap. Maybe I will buy some thin aluminum and just form something.

Sorry: missed it was a race car!

Cold air may buy you a teensy bit, but the look is indeed kinda neat.

Just make sure to keep an eye on manifold/carb icing.

“Air scoops” or louvres don’t let air in. They take it out.

Could you not get a Mk1 air canister? It fits under the right headlight and pulls air in from the right horn grill. Just a thought…

on my xjs, I was very surprised at the performance gain. on my van where it ‘should of’ made a difference, there was none!

Theo – can you provide some pictures of your cold air intake? I have a Mk2 and am contemplating building something. I have HD8s (I think you do as well?) and engine is currently on a run-in stand. Part of what I’m curious about is how much room there is and how best to pickup outside air. I cut the triangle cutouts in the engine bay which may serve as an exit point into the wheel well area. I’ve also hear about the Mk1 horn grill as an option, but in the Mk2 there are several layers of sheet metal in order to make that functional. Not sure I want to cut all that out and with parts out of the engine bay it’s not clear how much room I have with brake booster, etc. in that same general area.

Also curious how you’ve managed the throttle linkage. With stock Mk2 setup (which I’ve adapted to the HD8s) there’s an arm that pivots out past the carb bodies. Adding an intake box this would get in the way.

Thanks,

Tom

I’ll just point out that on the MK11 pictured the scoops (which WILL introduce cold air) are actually for the brakes as there are two of them.

Tom,
Here is one possibility for getting cooler air to the Carbs:

6 new photos by LH Rose

The photo below shows the air cleaner on the wheel/tire side of the engine bay valance.

New photo by LH Rose

Not necessarily an answer for you, but it is what I have done.

You might also consider these to keep your fuel float bowls cooler:

http://joecurto.com/float-bowl-koozies

Lin

Love the bowl koozies! I have one advantage over you southern guys – living in Seattle it’s rare that it gets much over 90 here. I’ll wait and see if I need koozies.

I’d seen a picture of your intake before. Looks great and avoids the issue with the throttle linkage as your pipe extends past it (where I circled below). My plan is to fabricate something myself and was planning on using aluminum sheet stock with the air intake coming in from below. As such it would be a little more box-like. Not sure my fabrication skills are up to par with whoever did yours…sure looks nice.

I’d seen a picture of Theo’s a while back but can no longer find it. It aligned to what I was thinking and would be something I could fabricate. Where to exit the engine compartment is the question. I like the idea of functional horn grills…but also like the look of mounting driving lights there.

I’ll take better pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow and post them. I bought a sheet of steel and made a box so the inlet size and shape etc. was equal for both carbs. It’s really right to the side wall, and there’s an issue with the linkage (for me its the TV cable to the trans that sticks out) so I angled the box such that its narrow at the bottom and gets wider as it goes up towards the hood, thereby both following the tight space of the side wall and allowing for clearance of the linkage. It also provides enough area inside the box to flow air into the carbs, and the angle helps direct the tube directly out into the under fender area. I did have to get rid of my wiper motor to make room, but living in LA it never rains so not an issue.

A WAAAY better use of the effort, than cool air to the carbs.

Theo – since you have your car on the road…did you notice a difference between the cold air intake and stock? I’ve heard this is the thing to do, but if the mods don’t provide any real benefit then may not be worth it.

I picked up a pair of cheap air filters on eBay. They’ll serve as filters while on the run-in stand.

I’m planning on connecting the crankcase ventilation to either the filters pictured or an air box if I fabricate one. Consensus seems to indicate this is the thing to do to help minimize oil leaks among other things. I may also run a catch can just to ensure I’m not ingesting any oil, etc. Any opinions on this topic?