Which one to buy, if any?

A friend of mine is considering an E-type. Who can blame him ?

After a lot of interweb research, he has narrowed his choices down to three. One is not really interesting due to the fact that it has failed to sell several times. Something’s wrong ?
Auction ended. But it’s on XKE data.
http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1R8243

One is a 1974 OTS with just under 35k miles. Untouched 100 % original.
http://www.heritageclassics.com/inventory/detail/1576-jaguar-e-type.html

The other one is a 1970 S2 OTS with 111k miles and regularly driven. Re painted in a factory ice blue, but originally BRG.
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1970/jaguar/e_type/100958361

All things equal as in no rust and both drives as they should, simply to avoid most hidden gremlins, my advise would be to buy the high miler with regular use as opposed to a car that has been stood for a number of years.

Both cars sound ok at start up and present no smoking. The S3 has a strange “rattle” as the engine is turned off.

I may travel with him to inspect a car, but what is the general opinion, if you were to entertain either of these two ?

Thanks in advance … Ole

I think the first didn’t sell because the opening bid was too high for the condition of the engine bay and the fact that the frames weren’t painted. I don’t know that anything is wrong per say, just over optimistic on the ask. The last one seems better for the price.

1 Like

Ill show my bias, here: for a Jag noob, the 6-cylinder car is more likely to be less headache.

They are two very different cars, so I suggest people buy something that they love. I know which one I would prefer, but what I want only matters to me.

In terms of mileage, for cars getting close to 50 years old, condition becomes more important than mileage. If you can visit both cars. What you see in photos can be a very different experience in person.

Keep in mind, the 6 is less complex than the 12. Also the 12 is a bigger car, with doors that are 9” longer. That might make access easier for some.
HTH
Robert

1 Like

All valid points, thanks y’all.
Cheers … Ole

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but here are my two cents worth. The Series III is out. A brown E-Type with oversized bumpers? Come on. The 69 Series II is interesting, but likely not as original as its reported low miles would have you believe. The fact that the frame rails, the A-arms and maybe the shocks have been painted tells me the engine was taken out, and I am not sure why that would be necessary on a true low mileage car. The quality of the paint job also raises questions about the quality of the mechanical work that was done. There are a number of non original details which are not a bid deal, but undercut the idea that this is an untouched original. That would leave me looking mainly at the 70 Series II. I don’t think the emissions paraphernalia does much for the look of the engine compartment, but it generally looks like a cleaner car and if the price is right, it could be a sweet driver.

1 Like

Door number three!!!
Phillip

The S3 is certainly not 100% untouched - perhaps they mean the paint and interior only.

Looking at the engine picture, the LH to RH inlet manifold balance pipe is missing, the LH rear engine lifting eye is missing, the LH header tank coolant pipe is routed through the front lifting eye, the piping to actuate the inlet air vacuum motors is missing, the carb dashpots are wrongly aligned and there is something very odd about the heater valve hoses one of which doesn’t appear to have a hose clip. All adds up to make me wonder what else has been done to the mechanics of the car over the years.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your keen eye. As you mention, not completely untouched and something to keep in mind.
Cheers … Ole

Untouched can have very different meanings… i think that to most sellers it means unrestored, original paint and interior. Nothing more.

I wonder how many e-type still run the original clutch and never had the engine removed. Or the original rear seal…

The repaint on the 1970 is an issue because it looks like the frames and most likely firewall is still BRG.

Personally I like the series 3, if the jumbo overriders are removed, even though It s not a usual color combo which may affect resale value.

The sable Brown 74’ is gorgeous

Reminds me of Twiggy’s car from the Blues Brothers movie.

Indeed. I’d completely forgotten that.
Thanks for sharing

Ole -

Car #3 shows (on my computer) that it is in Tucson AZ. If that is true (and not just something the website does with my location) I would be happy to take a look at it.

I wouldn’t want my opinion to be heavily relied on but I can take more pics, look under the carpet, possibly examine with a magnet, confirm numbers and inspect the title. Also doesn’t hurt to have someone look the seller in the eye if you know what I mean.

There is a local shop with a great reputation who will do a PPI for (last time I asked) $150.

PM me if you want a look-see.

1 Like

Hi Geo,
That’s a generous offer, thank you.
I have passed it on to my friend looking for the car.
Cheers … Ole

Hi,

Not sure how many, but my 1S20183 at least still is. The only things that had been changen when I bought the car, were the wheels (original style MWS but with S1 spinners) the steering wheel (wooden) the radio, the coil and the fuel pump. The original parts (and old mono radio) were all there, sans front carpets, so I put them all back. The only thing so far giving me some grief, is the ignition. It has worked mostly just fine (and I have driven the car several times at over 200 km/h, I think lastest time was coming back via Sweden from Germany we hit 228 km/h in the evening just before Hanover :slight_smile: and Le Mans Classic and Festival of Speed were a blast) but the intermittant cut off happens occasionally once the engine heats up.

Mine is now getting close to 47 years and has done a bit over 103.000 kms (65.000 miles).

I think that S3 looks lovely as such. Yes, not everyone loves the 1974 US bumpers, but on a car in Sable it does not look bad. The hood (top) looks original, very rare (IMO) to have a beige (Fawn?) hood (top) as almost all were black “Everlast” vinyl. A JHT certificate could confirm the colour.

The engine bay has a few issues, but inngeneral I think that looks like a great car.

Regarding the “Twiggy” car in Blues Brothers, I do remember it well from the movie, but hadn’t thought about the strange plates. What are they? Dutch? (Netherlands?) Something else? Anyone know for sure?

On the IL6 vs V12 debate all I can only say is: get what you like. I had a S1 2+2 for over 16 years and loved it. However now having had the V12 OTS for six years I can say that I prefer it on the long tours and fast highway drives. It just sits more firmly to the road and IMO is even easier and smoother to drive.

Cheers!

I don’t have any S1 or S2 to compare with, but agree on the relaxed cruising in the S3. Especially with a 5th gear.
License plate on the S3 is durch i believe.
Thanks for your input Pekka.
Cheers … Ole