White smoke from back of the engine

Hello Shahar - good show on vacuum test - this should mean that you have no ruptured line, causing a leak, since measured same at both points - as RGK20m3 Robert mentioned, check pressure at tail pipe - take a light piece of paper and hold in the air flow - watch the paper action for comparison of both pipes - some people use the money currency paper.

Here in israel we should go to MOT avery year

What this test should show me ?

Another this i notice is that right exuast line (the one with the hot cat convertor) is very hot and i got smoke coming from the rear wheel areaā€¦

The test would let you know if you have a difference of flow out the exhaust system - also, if paper flutters periodically, this is usually a sign of a miss on that bank - what color of smoke do you have from rear wheel area - look to see if you have something dripping on the exhaust pipe in that area - is the smoke also coming out of the tail pipe - if so, then you may have a hole in the exhaust pipe.

The dollar note test is very clear for diagnosis, hold it so the note slams against the tailpipe.
My money is on one or several spark plugs not sparking. The charge then burns off in the cat.
On many cars the misfire makes the car think itā€™s running lean (because it sees more oxygen) and it fattens the mixture, which makes it worse.
Less basic modern cars turn off the cylinders that donā€™t deliver power (fuel and spark) and then probably stick to afm values, but not this one.

You can Google dollar bill exhaust test. You will get a bunch of results and YouTube videos to choose from

The dollar bill test is essential for determining if youā€™re running on 11 cylinders too! My car ran fine with plenty of power, but the dollar bill test told me my A bank was intermittently misfiring on one cylinder. (turned out to be injector harness)

If you have a 8 or 4 cylinder, if one cylinder is misfiring you know.

I still did not understand what this test is supposed to show me ?

Misfires!

If a cylinder doesnā€™t fire thereā€™s less exhaust and the note will show it.

Yes, and all that raw fuel burns in the catalytic convertor.

Hold the bill over exhaust pipe not too tight, if it vibrates you have no misfires. If thereā€™s a misfire, youā€™ll see it as a pulse of air hitting the bill.

To be clear: Fold the dollar bill in half. Hold it by the folded edge and lay the two free ends over the exhaust opening. This will cause the two ends of the bill to flap audibly. Obviously, youā€™re looking for a uniform buzz. If thereā€™s any sort of misfire, it will become obvious.

And, as has been pointed out many times, to perform this test correctly on a Jaguar requires a $100 bill.

2 Likes

Oh gawd I uses a piece of cardboard!

$100 will give a more better result and make the kitten roar more purrfectly. Canā€™t afford a Jaguar if you canā€™t afford it. I had to go to the bank for the foreign currency.

Update:
Today i was about to try this dollar bill test, i start the car and sew that the idle is very high ( about 2000 rpm) so i remove the aav to test it in hot water.
The result was as i susspect- the avv thermostat not moving.
I know that this part is very expensive so meybe there is a way to fix it ?

Thanks kirbert , where can i buy this rebuilt kit ?

The second link that Kirby sent; John will rebuild your AAV, or will sell you the kit to do it yourself.

I thought you were supposed to hold it at one end at the pipe outlet, like a little flag ā€¦ If it blows straight out and steady, = good firing ā€¦ If intermittently so, = misfire ā€¦ If not at all = NO firing from that bank ā€¦ ? :confused:

Well, dang, thatā€™s THREE different versions of the $ bill test Iā€™ve heard of now, Palmdude ā€¦ :confused:

Or, just buy the repair kit from JohnJohn (in Lithuania) ā€¦ :+1: