Will 5 Speed Conversion decrease value of car?

Need a clutch…considering 5 speed conversion while at it. Will this decrease value of a 69OTS given that our cars are becoming a nice collectible? Currently matching numbers.
Abe …thanks

IMO I’d say no, as long as you keep the matching number 4 speed and you don’t have to modify the body in any way to fit the 5 speed. Basically if it’s 100% reversible it shouldn’t effect the value of the car.

Not at all as long as you sell the original box with the car.

Totally disagree.My opinion only, albeit shared by many, is a five speed gearbox conversion is a total waste of effort let alone crazy waste of money, and is only promoted by those who have a vested interest in selling you a five speed gearbox, or those who gave already wasted their money so need to justify doing so by convincing others to do the same thing. The standard 4 speed Jaguar gearbox works 100% perfectly, and if you have an undergeared US spec rear axle, money is better spent changing rear axle ratio to 3.07:1 as was standard on non USA cars.And regardless of what a current owner may think, or may try to justify a five speed gearbox conversion, that will not be shared by the majority of potential buyers, thus expect to offer a substantial discount when and if you decide to sell.If you must, make sure you keep your original gearbox and keep it with your car, so if you do get a buyer for your car with major modifications , they can convert it back to original.
See above. Anyone who says otherwise has a vested interest.

I agree with Roger. Additionally the cars that will be most valuable in the near to long term future are original unmolested cars. then comes the modified but with original bits, then will come the modified. There is a lot of interest at the moment with people buy original starters, dynamos etc putting modded cars back to standard. If you are not interested in future value then a 5 speed allows bragging rights in the bar.
Just my humble opinion.

Hi Roger and Phil, This is a typical example of a situation that garners a variety of views, and i trust this forum is a place where a variety of views can be expressed while maintaining “aplomb”! I have a 5 speed in my 1973 SIII E.It has the advantage of reducing the revs at freeway speed, with the following benefits…less engine wear, less heating of the car interior, and better gas mileage. bear in mind that the SIII “E Type” is a GT type of car and not a sports car, not that that makes too much difference. My car ( 1973 SIII “E” 2+2 coupe ) can easily be returned to “oe” status if needed, but I don’t believe i am under any obligation to do that for any esoteric reasons. These cars are not exactly rare cars…just look at the numbers that were made! Just my 2 cents worth!

A case can certainly be made both ways - I chose the 3.07 diff as it keeps the car more original and costs much less.

Ditto John. I also have a 73 ots, and put a 5 speed in 10 years ago. Absolutely transformed the car. But I have to admit, I am very lucky…I have had the car since new, and would never sell it. Basically I could care less about resale value, because I will be food for crabgrass when that issue comes up. LOL ! I love my E, and love it even more with the modern, easy shifting and economical 5th gear. Cheers !

Recent sales kind of contradict this position. The most expensive “regular” E-Types sold has been a 1966 OTS at over $425K. That car had several of the common “upgrades” we discuss here, and was unoriginal IIRC in that it has a metal console and mid-dash. This was almost twice the going rate!

[Sorry wrong car Auctions | RM Sotheby's. Another high dollar car was so modified.]

If I were in the market for an E-Type I’d probably pay a premium for – or be more attracted to – a car with a good 5-speed. People who drive the cars do appreciate it. A car being bought to sit in a garage somewhere in hopes of appreciation, well that buyer may try to talk you down for the 5-speed. You just have to find the right buyer – as always.

Jerry

Its a great debate and I totally agree that if you are a owner who uses the car a lot then you must put the car where you get max pleasure. The value bit is about seeing the trends if you intend to realise the asset.

Phil,

As I clumsily said just now, the trends currently are that upgrades are found (as well as outright incorrect restorations) among the highest price E-Types currently sold. I have to say that’s a surprise for me, and I’ve been startled by what I have seen – nevertheless, that’s what I have seen. Metal consoles on 4.2 cars is the most surprising thing, but they have been sold for high dollar results.

Jerry

Thank you all. Though I am going on the BSOL 3500 mile run in the fall, I do not use the car as much to justify the 5 speed. I probably will consider the 3.07 diff when I have to do something to the rear.
If money and space was no object and I only had one collectible car that used a lot…then I would get a 5 speed and store the 4 speed for resale.
Thanks to all…Abe

Sports Car Digest (an excellent source) agrees with you “keep it original” folks. Here is their comment on an OTS that failed to sell in 2016:"

“A desirable SI 4.2, but with the modern upgrades and CD stereo plus the handful of shortcomings, this is for someone to drive and enjoy. Not a show car, and not for someone who values authenticity above all else. – The fate in the market of this XKE, which should be a superb tour car, illustrates the difficulty of recovering the cost of even subtle modifications for more performance, better handling and more comfort. While they contribute to driving enjoyment the departure from stock configuration not only separates the car from mainstream collecting values but also makes any comparison with comparable values difficult, leaving bidders in a fog of uncertainty unless they really know what they’re doing, and bidders like that are few and far between, particularly for cars modified at great cost like this one. This is going to be a hard sell, except to the rare and possibly unique buyer who wants an XKE that performs like a Corvette.”

A great resource is their article about all Jaguars sold at auction 2016:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/jaguars-sold-auction-2016/

They have similar articles for 2015, 2014, and possibly more.

Of course these comments apply only to cars in Concours (1) condition, sold as collection pieces. If you don’t intend to bring your car to that standard, I don’t believe it makes much difference.

Jerry

I am in my 50s… I know when I am 95 I will regret the conversion and selling the 4 speed since I do not have the space. :smiley: …then I am 95 so WTF do I care when I am taking my last breaths at 95…if I get that far.
Abe

If originality will get you a few more bucks on sale, why not keep the original trannie, revert at the time of sale and enjoy the 5 spd in the meantime? If you can sell the 5 spd, AND make more money…seems l like a no brainer.

Abe, unless you convert your car into a trailer queen, you’ll probably get more for your 5-speed car than you would for a 4-speed car. If you were to sell it. Just sayin’.

Jerry

And that is because, Abe’s car, however nice it is (and it’s certainly a lot nicer than my '69 OTS) is probably never going to be one of those cars where originality is worth more than functionality. If Abe was asking about putting a 5-speed in his OBL and/or welded louver '61 OTS I think the answers he’d be seeing would be different. Will this ever change? I rather doubt it. There are just so many of these cars about that only the especially rare examples are ever going to be in this category. My 2 cents…

-David

No shortage of opinions on this one!.. The car in question, however, is a Series 2, and as such, the originality vs. value is surely different from an S1. In fact, in my view, one of the great advantages of an S2 is that improvements can be made without hurting the value of the car. A well-done 5-speed conversion is unquestionably a (technical) improvement. What’s not to like? Original four gears, plus a cruising gear. Better/easier/smoother shifting (not that the original was bad —), and less weight than the original (OK, not a big deal).

My car is an S2 FHC, and it is unquestionably a classic, 6-cyl SWB E-type, even though it has triple SUs, a 5-speed, 6" wheels, a burl walnut center dash section, a non-riginal steering wheel and shift knob, and several more minor changes. I didn’t even keep the original gearbox, because I really can’t imagine anyone wanting to put it back in. I can’t imagine that any of these things have actually detracted from the market value of the car.

In any case, I am far more concerned with my own enjoyment of the car than I am it’s perfect originality or market value.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
S2 FHC

Well said !!! Enjoy it…drive the heck out of it ! Bravo ! Who would want to put back the old four speed ??? crazy ! John

Many years ago my car was in pieces and I approached Lynx for a price on an alloy Dtype shell, £11,000 at the time to build my bits on…dont do it,I was told, the replica D will only decrease in value…they were wrong…