Will not Idle without choke on

Just a clarity and we should be there…did we crank the car…

Understood, and I’ve been assuming that he set initial advance correctly. My question was whether the carbon center contact was in good shape. That would be the next step after a basic carb setup, no matter what sort of distributor was being used.

I get it… it was assumed new?
Well let’s see , hopefully all will be good
Good luck

Hi,

Idle air volume screw, scrfewed all the way in and then out, either 2 or 3 turns.

Fuel mix screw adjusted like you said., taking off dashbpot the carb, flush, then 2,5 turns.

The butterflies has been OK, when not connected to the links, but I have been too stingy on the slack, leavibng them a little open. Maybe.

What is the trick with the little arm going to the axle of the butterfly, I think it should be a little slack there. Shouldnt it to avoid any hick-ups in the link arm system to hold the butterfly open?

Fast idle adjusted with zero “load” with a paper in between.

| Virusfri. www.avg.com |

• | - |

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 00:40 skrev Dennismo via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

Try none and see what happens…they should be closed
crank it up, lets hear her purrrr

Ok

I have tried with zero, no slack, maybe too tight so That might directly have caused my problem.:blush:

So I will give it some mm slack, and try it.

So far purring has not be so nice.

Try tomokrow then and let you hear it.

Ove

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 11:52 skrev j limongelli via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

After all that one last thing
It’s an occurrence only on the north shore of Long Island but because it’s a jag maybe to you as well
How old is the fuel pump and filter?
Of that is restricted or pumping under a couple of pounds…
On my db4 I had a similar issue
Once the pump and filter replaced all good
Good luck
Gtjoey1314
Ps your sure your timing is good and your not 180 out

It’s unlikely to be a fuel pump issue, because it runs well off idle. But you can easily check the pump by pulling the hose from the carb rail, and dunking it in a suitable container. Then have someone turn the key while you observe flow.

Again, loosen the arms on the throttle spindles. Press each plate fully closed and hold as you retighten the associated lever arm. You will probably end up with a little slack between the lever arm and the accelerator linkage. That’s ok, because the slack in all three gets taken up when you press down on the pedal.

If the idle still hasn’t calmed down, then pull the distributor cap and check the carbon contact, which can easily get damaged during installation. Check that the plug wires were installed in the correct sequence and are properly seated. Also check your coil polarity. Finally, verify timing with a timing light, not static timing and not with the LED on the distributor. Verify on both 1 and 6. As long as you have a steady 10 degrees at idle, the advance curve won’t be relevant to this problem.

1 Like

Thanks for your advices, I will use all of it.

The fuel pump, filter, tank etc is brand new SNG Barratt stuff.
Fuel hoses too. All brand new.

Carbs are all completely cleaned and overhauled with new jets.

Tomorrow i will fine tune the link arm system, with a little slack, I might have been too stingy there without knowing what I was doing😉

I have also blown through the sliw idle air system with bolt removed.

So if this does not improve i would have to go back to the ignition.

I started off with completely wrong needles, a HZ type for the HD6 carbs. After a ling tine checking i found that out and installed the old UO needles, then after a little while the UM needles.
Jet is correct 0,125 diameter.

So tomorrow will be good.

Maybe.

Ove

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 18:04 skrev Michael Frank via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

Ahhhh good going wrong needles kill it!
Yeah if it’s starting you have ignition
I get the other theories but we know your not running 50 year old parts , pumps and all
Start with the Um …they will be fine for now
Before you were dumping to much fuel
Good luck
What country are you at
I’m in lockdown pm the cell if you need help
Go go go!!!

Could be worst , this is how you covert annDB4😳

Not sure if this has been noted but the shafts running through the carb body can let in a lot of air if they are just slightly worn.

Hi,

I am in Norway, just outside capital Oslo.

Winter is coming. And I love it…

Ove

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 21:34 skrev j limongelli via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

1 Like

You must be young…
I want heat like an Etype engine after at idle for ten minutes😀
Without a choke of course😀

Thank you,

The carburettors are 100% overhauled with new «seals» in the butterfly shafts.
They are really tight. But could be air was coming through even then.

I think somebody told me to use start gas spraying onto the deals while engine was running to check it out. Will do too😊

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 21:42 skrev Mitchell J. Andrus via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

1 Like

Yes even CRC will give an indication if there is a leak through the seals, but if the carbs have been rebuilt I would think that unlikely.

Start me up… and never stop
Go go go
Make us proud

Here is my beauty after 20 minutes choke eu ning, now with little choke. . Rpm with the aid of the choke noe just above 1.000 rpm. Choke lever on 1/3 of max.
For me it sounds like misfiring.and that your suggestions of faulty maybe 123 distributor could be the issue?

tir. 15. des. 2020 kl. 22:32 skrev j limongelli via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

(Attachment IMG_7405.MOV is missing)

I didn’t get the attachment
Ps your running 7mm non copper spark plug wires along with the Bosch 3.0 or Petronix with no ballast correct?

Jag Lovers denied Iphone video format for some reason.

The spark plugs are just above 7 mm made for Petronix and 123 electronic ignition system.

Distributor is a 123 distributor with vacuum connection.

ons. 16. des. 2020 kl. 17:30 skrev j limongelli via Jag-lovers Forums <noreply@jag-lovers.com>:

Plug off the advance and retime at 10 btdc
We are getting close
If you were at 15 before you were cheating with timing and choke
Good luck
Give us a couple of photos
More eyes see more things
You sure what coil and non ballast you have?