Will the 2+2 ever get respect?

Space is the reason I ended up with a 2+2…6’4" of space to be exact!..I dont fit into an FHC!
I did fit this recently to allow for some extra headroom and car feel in cornering:

1 Like

I’m doing a 2+2 series 1.5 right now …… which I will be selling …it’s a project that needs finishing …body very good …but not to my normal standard… had a series one that I sold to finance another project …… I wonder if I still have time for a 66 2+2 again to restore …still got 1& 1/2 projects on the go…… but if one came up I’d seriously consider it …. I’ve saved and am restoring a o/d box for that purpose.

1 Like

Hi Danny,did you notice my post requesting a top windscreen trim for the above 2+2?
Thanx,Simon.

Good timing. Saw this in downtown Toronto last week and was impressed with the car and whoever owns and drives it. Highly original body which may be a repaint but very good quality, excellent original chrome, original steering wheel and gray interior, painted wires and Amco bars front and rear. There is a well-intentioned but unfortunate rub rail down the sides, which has probably helped protect the sheet metal from the door dimpling rampant in this city.

Must be a late Series I before the lamp covers were dropped.

You would never guess it’s a family car…

1 Like

Yep but I don’t have a spare Simon …. Should be able to get from barrats Uk

I had a 1967 2+2 with covered headlights. Very rough, what with rusted floors and badly faded paint. I started on it, but got discouraged. Along comes a buyer, actually looking for a two plus two. I tried for two days to talk him out of it. He came back with his own truck and trailer to carry it off to Florida. For me, it was a compromise, and affordable at the time. I had two roadsters prior to that, but the siren call got the best of me. No regrets.

Hi Simon, I think you just proved my point!

Yes,hence my retraction.

S1 2+2 At a recent Piston Ring club meet in Johannesburg.

3 Likes

It’s a strange thing amongst classic car owners/enthusiasts that certain models of a marque are dismissed and are not the one to have and sometimes price reflects this. When I had a Morgan Plus 8 it was shunned by some owners that it was the short door model and not the long door? The Same can even be said in the MG circles where rubber bumper variants were very much derided.
As to the E-Type, it has been known for early model owners to totally dismiss any later variant. I have a late S2 FHC which I am absolutely delighted with, and which in my honest opinion drives better and is a lot more comfortable than a very early model (and can’t justify the double value). To 90% of Joe public it is an E-TYPE full stop, and irrespective if it’s a O/T, FHC or 2+2 just enjoy it and appreciate them all.

1 Like

I look at today’s resto E-Types, especially the self resto cars and think how much more money have you spent than would be required for a well looked after driver 2+2?

When you are done you will have a beautiful car. But will you be scared to drive it unless the roads are dry?
Will you be scared to take it to the shops incase another car door marks, or worse dents your new paint?
Will you drive it anywhere, scared it will break down on the road and require a flat bed to get home?

In the 20 years I have owned my 2+2 I have driven it over 76,000 miles. I spare it salted roads, simply because salt will unzip some of the less well repaired sections. And because I am not prescious about its dented and scratched paintwork or it’s rattly engine or loose and noisy gearbox, I will do all its major and minor servicing, as I always have done.

I don’t care that the 2+2 is the original E-Type’s ugly sister. I can sit in it and drive it all day without a worry, either of its reliability or of its comfort. And only those that know will think it any less an E-Type than the ones people read about changing hands for six figure sums.

6 Likes

Exactly.

If Scarlett Johansson has an ugly sister, I’d like to meet her.

3 Likes

Very nice to read all the positive comments about the 2+2. and I am currently working on it. I also do drive it frequently and more often than the flat floor or 4.2 FHC. And my wife also wants the 2+2 automatic for long tours as a passanger.
I have recently started a nut and bolt restoration and documenting it on my youtube channel.
@JaguarEtype
Might be interesting for all jag lovers as I am covering a lot more than just the restoration of a 66 2+2.

https://youtu.be/0FW2J1rnjX0

4 Likes

I can parallel that with an experience I had at Back to the Bricks in Flint ( GM town) Inwas parked next to a older vette and approached the owner to chat. He looked at me, my car then turned around and walked away……

One of my bigger regrets is passing on buying a very nice local ‘66 plus two. Burgundy over black. I’d seen it a couple of times at local show and shines. It was six or seven years ago when I was actively seeking out an S1 FHC and the owner responded to my wanted ad. The price was very reasonable, about half what you’d expect to pay today, but I wanted a 2-seater, so I dismissed it. Dumb move. The FHC never materialised. I would love to have that car now that I’m older and (ostensibly) wiser.

1 Like

Hehe,on my last big drive,earlier this year,I made sure I carried a spare 20ltr/about 5 gall,fuel container as I had some long stretches without fuel stations.
On the run was a 427 '67 Vette (pictured above or in the pic thread),he ran out of fuel and my container came to the rescue…kharma by proxy!!

He has a parking phobia as well!!

2 Likes

:innocent:

1 Like

Or those that prefer the refinement of a coupe ……especially if it has aircon and you’re a red head :man_red_haired:

3 Likes

And his front bumper is crooked……

A couple of years ago he hit a small 'roo but wasn’t worried about fixing it,he may have a spare.