Windscreen seal

Thanks all for the reply’s, I ordered a speedo cable from Worster and stated you don’t do the rev counter cable do you, the reply was we do but I haven’t go around to putting it on the list yet, so I ordered a rev counter cable also
Not sure about the thinking that the rev counter cable needs to be a special one due to the drive going anti clockwise, surely the driver for the cable will spin it in the correct direction or am I missing something ?
Additionally I am in the process of fitting the windscreen back together after chroming and new glass, I have the seal for around the frame that seals against the body work, what I need to know now,is there a seal for the glass inside the screen frame, when I dismantled the frame it had black goo on the glass and inside the channel where the glass sits, which I scrapped off, there is approximately 4 mm play between the glass and the channel it sits in, has anybody used a seal to secure the glass in the frame or used another method like the windscreen sealants used today
Thanks in advance

In the windshield I believe there was a rubber channel. It is sort of generic, all cars used them back then.

On rev counter and speedo cables, the internal cable element is a twisted strand. I speculate that the twisted strand should be rotated in the direction so as to increase the twist, i.e. keep the cable twisted. A rotation against the twist would tend to encourage unraveling the twist, which would lead to increased friction and wear due to radial expansion of the cable dimension inside the carrier tube, and possibly binding. I cannot remember if the speedo and tach cables have opposite windings. The cable strands are pretty stiff, so in practice maybe the winding direction turns out not to be important?

Not quite. Bowden cables are contra wound. I.e, the outer twist you see is wound over an inner twist of opposite direction. This self-cancels any tendency to unravel. The wire used is a spring steel grade which is very resilient and also resists any attempt to unravel.

The cable rotational direction is different for the 1.5 and the two sixes. The sixes have anticlockwise tachos driven via 1:1 angle drives connected to the camshaft. The 1.5 has a clockwise tacho driven through a reversing angle drive (1:1 I think) fitted to the end of the dynamo. This makes no difference to the Bowden cable, whether it be left hand or right hand twist. Being driven from the camshaft for the sixes, of course, means it is only half engine speed, so the scale on the dial is graduated at twice the cable input speed - notice the subtle ‘2:1’ printed on the face.

The windscreen glass is seated in a strip of special rubber called ‘uncured’ rubber which looks like a liquorice strap and is just as weak. Kerosene is used as a lubricant and it is also a solvent for it. It comes in several thicknesses and is readily available from the specific marque suppliers or an auto rubber supplier, and comes with instructions. It has a slightly mouldable quality whereby it can be reshaped a little at pinch or gap areas. It settles into its space and gradually bonds to the surfaces. The remnants you found would be this material. You can’t use any conventional type of U rubber channel as the cut shape of the glass is not consistent with the shape of the frame, nor will the thickness suit.

For the 4mm gap I suggest a 1.5mm and get enough for two - you’ll see why as you struggle your way through it. If I have to do another one, I will take all the bits to a windscreen place. Spreading the lower frame to spring past the glass corners involves torn rubber and the creation of new obscenities.

Just one hint - assemble the empty frame complete with the joining strips and note the orientation of these strips. Each strip can fit in four different ways and can be on either side. It seemed to me from the fractional differences between hole centres, that each was drilled and tapped individually to match the frame. From memory, I attached these pieces to the upper frame for assembly, not the lower.

Good luck.

Thanks Peter
very useful information, I will get some uncured rubber ordered and see how I go, wasn’t aware of this rubber so many thanks
Mike

The compound most used is Butyl Rubber. It’s a pliable rubber that comes in a roll. You can find it in several thicknesses and widths on eBay or most automotive supply stores.