Winter comes to Calgary

Today I put the ski rack on my X Type, which means we’ll soon have a Chinook and all the snow will disappear. Last week, I installed a set of ice rated tires, so I expect a mild winter.

In the past few weeks I put my E-types and XJ6 away, and started driving my X-types…Winter snow started about a week ago

This will be my first winter with an X Type, I am looking forward to seeing how it behaves on snow.
P.

I bought my 5 speed manual 02 X Type last December with a set of winter tires installed. I got the car to use as a ski car because it had built in hard point mounts for a roof rack and was all wheel drive (and was a Jaguar). I’m very pleased with how it has performed on snow and ice. The all wheel drive works seamlessly in the background. The handling is a delight. It is very reliable and always starts, no matter the temp.

Getting a rack to fit the hard points was a bit of a tail chasing exercise. I started with the knowledge that the Jag racks were made by Thule; however I could only find listings at the Thule dealers for racks that clamped to the door frames. I went to the local Jag dealer and ordered the rack from them. In retrospect it makes sense that Jaguar doesn’t want competition from their supplier. I went to Thule for the ski clamps themselves. All the different Thule fittings will work on the Jaguar rails and the locks can be keyed the same.

Last spring I bought a set of wheels and mounted 4 all season Nokians for summer tires. Two weeks ago I installed a new set of ice rated Nokians on the first set of rims for winter. I can now swap out summer and winter tires at will. No waiting in line at the tire store twice a year.

You don’t say which part of snow country you live in. Hope you like your car as much as I like mine