Wiper motor arm retaining clip '69 2+2

Hello -

Trying to replace the retaining clip on the end of the wiper motor arm to which the actuating swivel joint is attached.

I have tried a 7/32 inch circlip/e-clip - too small, 1/4 inch is too loose.

Do I need a 15/64 inch or is this not a circlip/e-clip fastener?

Thank you - Tom

Is this the clip you mean?

I’ve never had to buy one so I cannot say what works - but the original looks a little different from the common hardware store E-clip.

Yes, that’s it. Doesn’t seem to be listed in parts breakdown either.

Your photos are of tremendous help.

Thanks - I’ll keep looking

George, I am often described as a hoarder, and I’ve been working on that.

The clip in your photograph looked horse shoe-shaped, and I went Googling, in particular looking at Google images. I did find “poodle” retaining rings, which are somewhat similar - a larger retaining surface than an E-clip. Then I found “horse shoe” brake shoe retaining clips - they looked very familiar.

I checked in my garage, and in a container of stuff I thought I might need, was a small box of brake parts left over from putting new brakes on my daughter’s 1980 Toyota, on Christmas day somewhere in the 1990’s.

There were two brand-new cad-plated little horse-shoe retainers. Slip over the shaft in the groove (they fit exactly - can you believe it?) and gently squeeze the horse-shoe ends with pliers. They are not spring steel - they squeeze in and stay there.

Problem solved!

Tom

I’ve heard that if you keep restoring cars and you save all the extra bits from each time you eventually will have enough parts to build a whole 'nother car.