Wipers motor wiring connections?

I am restoring from nuts and bolts a 140 FHC and have on the bench a “new” … :roll_eyes:…! wiper motor
I’d like to test it but don’t know the wiring connections.
Does someone can tell me the color or destination of each wire 12345 on the photo ?
Thank’s

This might help. DR1 Motor

Eric

Thank’s Eric . I’ll dive in that !

Polse: Be aware if you’re using a Lucas DR1 wiper motor from another car that the wiper blade sweep angle may be different from what your car requires. The sweep angle is determined by the main drive gear in the wiper motor, and the angle is typically stamped on the main drive gear. The drive gears vary from around 90 degrees to 130 degrees. Your XK140 will probably require a 90 degree or 100 degree drive gear. More than that and the wiper blades will reach across to the opposite windscreen pane.

1 Like

Mike,

In addition: the 90 degree drive gear is the most “scarce” version. Took me ages to find one…

Bob

Well… first of all i must check the motor and then have a look on the cinetic

I have gone to the trouble to remove 2 (so far) of similar units from a '51 MKVII and '55MKVIIM.

Not just the motors, but every part of the windscreen/washer equipment

Using information provided by this thread, I will proceed to identify and test them

I have been told that these units are very likely to be the same as contiguous XK,
so, if it is alright, I may post pictures of the various assemblies, data stamps etc

I will endeavour the cross-reference the Parts Numbers, for which I have as a source the Factory Parts Manuals, but these can be difficult for me) to interpret, for various reasons, sometimes a part that will fit or even is the same have a different Part num

parts removed include: motor with gear cable and electrical harness, cable conduits, wheel boxes that drive the wiper arm, inside parts that retain the wheel boxes, wiper arm, washer nozzles, vacuum part on lid, washer bottle, (with little bracket a gent on this forum had to fabricate :grinning:)

…think I know why this may be a rare part…it needs 2 people to get it out, as the fastener is only 5/16" and has a bolt in the engine bay, and a nut deep under the cowl, so inside.

As the fastener is fairly long, small and rusty, I has the wait till I had someone to help, couldnt readily, or even now, think of a way of doing it on your own

please dont say angle grinder

Then I’ll say Vise-Grips. :smile:

1 Like

Now i have what i was looking for : the wiper motor specific … It was engraved on the aluminium cover :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
And the wiring is on the book 140 explored :+1:

And it is a 90 ° movement :pray:

here is a reference,

The Lucas 2 speed DR1 wiper motor | Jaguar XK 140 FHC Part & Assembly Information (bobine.nl)

I have just looked at an earlier one Part num , from a '51 MKV11, a CR 75088
below source calls it as fitting '49-50 XK120 '51-52 MK7 MKV

Jaguar MK V MK VII 1951-52 & XK 120 49-50 Jowett Jupiter 52-54 Lucas Wiper Motor | eBay

1 Like

Tony,

See list of XK 120 wiper motors below. The Lucas 75151 is not 100% correct for the XK 120 as it has a 105 degree wiper gear. Yes, the very first wiper motors (75088) had the same 105 degrees gear but Jaguar changed very quickly (January 1950) to a 95 degrees version (75084), probably because the wipers were touching the side and/or center pillars.
Probably Lucas had no more 95 degrees wiper motors when they made the “Supersession Chart”.
Of course 105 degrees is perfect for the Saloon windshield.

Bob K.

None of these XK120 wiper motors had the power to run the wiper blades fast enough. At highway speeds in heavy rain they’re totally inadequate.

Look closely at LWK707, the “seven day and seven night” record breaking car, and you’ll see the factory installed an auxiliary wiper system coming out of the roof for the driver-side windscreen.

Hi Bob (and others) , do you know if the “wiper gear” is easily interchangeable with the other angled gears ?

It strikes me the rest of the motor would be more susceptible to failure than the drive gear

Presumably the drive cable can be easily extracted ?

I will post a pic of the wire connections,
it only has 2 but I dont want to fry it by connecting backwards

It will be tested and put up for sale in classifieds, with the others,

I just want them to go to a good, (and well-to-do) new home :grinning:

which of the two screws in the middle of the pic take + and - ?

here is a pic with grease scraped of the main drive, I could not see any markings,
it was only a cursory inspection, do I need to clean further ?

(the item was fully packed with white grease)

Mike,

That’s an interesting photo. It’s of course a later modification but it does support your statement about the lack of power of the XK 120 wiper motors, although the later CRT motor had about 10% more power…
This must have been one of the earlier Lucas wiper motors with the wiper arm directly mounted on the wiper motor shaft and without the “rack” of the XK 120. These versions had been used on many Jaguars (pre- and postwar) like the CW and SW models. I understand that also Landrover continued these models for a while after the war.

Bob K.

Tony,

If you “dig” a little bit deeper (literally) in the grease, you will discover a large gear with the wipe-angle stamped on top. These wiper motors are not difficult to take apart and you can replace the gear wheel for any other one that was used for the CR range (just like Lucas did during assembly). The required gear wheel (90 or 95 degrees) is sometimes offered on eBay, although many people are looking for these and prices are high.

Bob K.

Here is the angle engraved on the gear

BTW i have checked the wires at the bottom of the motor and wonder what wire must i plug on + and - of a 12V supply ? (DR1 )

I am wondering the same to test mine, and decided to run with the position shown in the circuit diagram, (if you laid the motor/gearbox in that orientation), havent tried it yet, not sure what happens if you connect it backwards.

Remembering that these vehicles are factory + earth

so my wiring diagram below shows back to front,
that red + going to battery negative,
the black - is earth, which in this case is battery +

Thank’s Tony, but it’s still not clear for me… the wires on the schema are marqued 57 /62 , but my motor has 5 wires as the pic some posts above show.
So i am still confused :thinking:

The wiring in diagram from Tony is for a different motor. The DR1 self park requires the motor to run backwards to trip the park switch. The consequence of this is that the field coil has to brought out of the motor which is why you have so many wires. To test the motor you will need to connect four wires. It will not run unless you do. It’s all explained in the link I sent you.

Eric

The subject came up in December.