Worklight for Under the E-Type Bonnet

Does anyone know of a good adjustable work light (Battery powered or not) that can attach easily to the bonnet underside and can shine bright light down onto the engine? The “stick” types are not very conducive to E-Type bonnet shape. Thanks.

Mike King
Phoenix

There are any number of magnetic base LEDS: cheap enough to park 6 around the engine bay and on the bonnet.

1 Like

I bought these
https://www.amazon.com/Coquimbo-Rechargeable-360°Rotate-Flashlight-Inspection/dp/B07G9X19G1/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=magnetic+base+LED+light&qid=1574101184&sr=8-7

I use this one:

That is similar to one I used, down at @Craig_Balzer’s shop: quite useful… if your car doesn’t have an aluminum bonnet, like, oh say, A ROVER.

:wink:

Great light Watch for ads and coupons and can be had as low as $20, but $25 is common.

Mike! I use this one very much around the cars or house, I like it
because it needs charging very seldom.
get it www.ezred.com or some local stores.
Walter

Thanks, Everyone, all good suggestions, I will order soon.
Let there be light in my engine bay!

2 Likes

This one is not cordless but puts out LOTS of light and is not much $$. It is thin and light weight. It is the one I use most now in the garage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1000-Lumen-LED-Portable-Work-Light/1000706048

David
68 E-type FHC

Whether or not you have a fixed light under the bonnet, one of the inexpensive LED headlights would be a handy addition.
They illuminate the exact area you look at if you set them right.

2 Likes

I use this one - it is a good width for attaching the end magnets to the underside of the bonnet:

I carry this on board when I travel (in a S2 it fits on that little shelf below the fuel filter):

I picked up 2 of these cuz the price was certainly right but they are made from rather fragile plastic. I keep them attached (magnetic base) to the inner fender well behind the driver’s headlight. The top half of the plastic shell snapped just from road vibrations.

Craig

My grandfather Murdoch Macleod used this to illuminate his Model

A, his daily driver to Four River shipyard. Wood handle brass cage. Not OSHA approved.

5 Likes

Loved these. Burn your arm and catch your car on fire.

2 Likes

If you installed an LED bulb in that, it’d work great! More uniform light, less heat, impervious to impact damage.

I bought a set of Würth WLH 1.4 and while I don’t like cold light, they are magnetic, have a hanger, swivel, provide a lot of light and are rechargeable. For what it is the price seemed right.

Yeah, but where would you light your cigarette?

2 Likes

those incandescent wood and brass babies are great for looking for fuel leaks or drips LOL

2 Likes

Before emigrating to the US, Murdoch was a Sapper in the British Army, and a boatbuilder. Carried a piece of shrapnel on his keychain they dug out of him at Ypres. Somehow, he survived using the incandescent bulb almost all his life (born in 1888) and passed away in bed at 94.
Pardon my thread drift…

Or as Peter Egan put it:

Trouble Light: The mechanic’s own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, “the sunshine vitamin”, which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

My drop lights are the recipients of the otherwise useless CFLs I wound up with when I replaced them all with LEDs.

2 Likes