Would 1988 XJS headlights fit 1996 XJS?

Would 1988 XJS headlights fit 1996 XJS?

as far as I know, there are not exactly compatible, but some managed to install them with some modding
sorry I can’t be more specific about what had been done

Marco,
The subject of swapping headlamp designs between the newer cars with the one piece glass or plastic lenses and the original sealed beam glass bulbs comes up from time to time on the Jag-Lovers XJ-S list. If you search the archives for “headlamp swap” you will likely find several threads abou this.
It seems that owners in the USA with the original 4 bulb sealed beam glass bulbs were eager to have the “Euro style” one piece units while owners elsewhere with the newer one piece headlamp lenses seemed eager to have the “retro look” of the older sealed beam glass bulbs. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. :wink:
I have seen posts on this list about swapping bulbs both ways over the years and my recollection is that the swaps are possible but that they are not form, fit, and functional replacements and that adapter hardware has to be sourced and wiring changes are necessary for them to work. Headlamp regulations vary from country to country so making the swaps can also be contrary to local regulations. It is also possible that Kirby Palm’s book covers this, but I am not certain of that because it mostly covers the earlier pre-facelift cars.
If you were looking for a simple project this is probably not it.

Paul

1 Like

Thank you so much Paul for your comments.

Now I think I’ll keep my European style headlamps…

Marco St-Pierre

I swapped the singles for quads on my '94 - wasn’t terribly difficult. Main reason was light output / quality, rather than aesthetics. There are plenty of options for the 5 3/4" size and you certainly won’t want sealed beams.
If you have a search on the forum, you should find a few posts on the topic.

Weird, isn’t it. Mine’s got the one piece units (I’m in NZ) and I have to get the right hand light re-silvered, which I know can be done but I am not looking forward to getting the bloody thing apart! Personally I have always preferred the look of the twinned setup, and the worst that you have to do with them is to change the light.
At least with a sealed beam unit all one would have to do would be to ensure the correctly biased unit was fitted, and I’m sure that Hella would have a number for that.

Laing,

It is hard to say if your car is weird or not. What year is it? If it is a pre-facelift car (1975-1991) perhaps a prior owner thought the grass was greener with the “euro” look. I have seen lots of post on Jag-Lovers from those who wanted to make that modification. So maybe not weird at all.

Paul