Would you pay £40,000 for this barn-find Jaguar E-Type?

Yet another barn-find E-type is going to auction. Chassis number 282 is a very early coupe and the bidding is expected to be fierce.

So what exactly would the prospective buyer get for his money? Not much more than the chassis number, by the look of it!

In my opinion people pay ridiculous prices for E Type wrecks in general and especially so for early ones. I think it was chassis no. 70 that was dragged out of a barn and sold for GBP105k (app) and then went to CMC for a full restoration. They did a beautiful job, as they always do, but weren’t forthcoming on what it had cost. My guess would be well north of GBP150k and at the end of all this what you have is only an E Type. OK, a beautiful early one but still just an E Type and not all that rare. Are they really worth over a quarter of a million pounds? Evidently, there are enough people who think so.

Always good to see another one saved but having restored two myself I know exactly how eye-wateringly expensive everything is. On the positive side, parts supply and restoration businesses are flourishing and so create employment and prosperity but I still think the prices are mad.

Eric
Church Stretton, UK

Good God!!! I’m so glad I got mine twenty four years ago. I could never afford one today.
LLoyd

How much of this early car will still be “early” after the restoration is done? A number of years ago a restorer told of an OSL OTS that he was restoring and the body was so bad that it was replaced by a body rom Robey, which in my estimation makes it a kit car!
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.