X-type rear wheel camber adjustment

The stock X-type rear wheels do not have any adjustment for camber, but after an 8,800 mile road trip from AK across the mid US and back, my left inner rear wheel was quite worn. After I got back home, I replaced the lower suspension member (it was obviously worn at the end fitting rubbers), and because the wheel bearing was a little noisy, I replaced that also. Doing a little research, I found that the 2004 Volvo S40 upper control arms can used as replacements, and are available in an adjustable model. I am planning to go to a ‘zero’ camber to hopefully stop early wear on the rear tires. I don’t race or slalom the car. Have any other folks on the forum done this? Any obvious change in the way the car drives??

Haven’t done it but I have heard of the mod on another site.

Hello, yes I have done the adjustable upper control arm . I ordered parts for a Ford Focus.

Hello Hans,
I did the upper control arm change a couple months ago. I have the camber set to near zero. I haven’t really noticed any difference in how the car drives. I do almost all my driving on the highway, and I am trying to get the most even wear I can on my rear tyres. Things seem to be going well so far.

I have replaced upper rear control arms, with adjustable ones. I have camber correct. I now have a toe out problem with both rear tires. I drove the X-Type in the snow, and it was terrible. I will now look at replacing bottom rear control arms.

Yes, the lower arms will also get soft/worn at the end closest to the differential. I have replaced mine also. There is an eccentric bolt on the back of the rear suspension near the differential that can be loosened and rotated to give some toe-in and out for alignment.