X type sagging headlights

Hi my x type is a 2006 SE the headlights have sagged right down too low for driving at night .
I saw a fix on u tube on a S Type ( are they the same head lights as the X ):confused::confused::confused: they screwed a screw in which lifted it up ?

The factory service manual has a chapter on this question. I havenā€™t read it, donā€™t need it yet.
P.

Thanks for that

Regards Noel

I have 3 X-types, and EVERY one of them has had this problem. I just bought my last one a few weeks ago, and have not gotten to fixing it yet. You will need to get on Ebait, or one of the other ā€˜usualā€™ suppliers to buy the X-type headlight repair kit(s). You may want to do some shopping around, as there are a few different ones, made of different materials. The S-type kits wonā€™t fit in the X-type headlights, so be sure you get the right kits. The CHEAP plastic that Hella used in the Jag headlight innerd mounts breaks or comes loose inside, and the only fix is to take the light housing apart and replace the original pieces. It is laborious but once you are done, they will outlast the trash that was in them originally. Get a kit for both headlights, even if you only have one bad headlight currently. You will save time ordering the second kit in the future.

I have had a 2002 X Type for over a year now and have never heard of this problem, ever, on any car. So what happens and how can I tell if it is happening to my car?

Hi Grahame the beams point 6ft down to road , therefore you cannot see ahead of you , only on hi beam, mine has collapsed completely it is something to do with level control

Regards Noel PS I live in the Tropics

Hi Kassaq thanks for reply, do you do the job yourself ? lf so how big a job is it?
Regards Noel
Australia

Yes, I definitely do the job myself. You will need to take the bumper cover off enough to get to all the headlight housing bolts (labour intensive, but not too difficult), then you take the headlight housings out (again, a little labour intensive, but not difficult). Once you have the housings out, you need to separate the front from the back half, and the broken pieces inside will be self evident. To separate the halves, some people heat the housings in an oven to soften the soft rubber caulk sealing them. I generally take my time and have a half dozen thin aluminium small pieces to slide into the front housing lock tabs on the sides of the housings to keep them ā€˜openā€™ (again self evident when you look at the housing). If you need more sealing caulk to reseal the housings on reassembly, you can get it at Napa; it comes in a roll/ribbon, and body workers use it to seal panels.

Grahame, If you take the cover off the back of the housing, just like if you were going to change a bulb in it, and gently lift or move around the inner lamp housing, you will be able to easily feel if it is really loose inside. You will be able to alter the beam angle super easy if it is loose inside. My latest acquisition is a 2003 car with only 44,700 milesā€¦the light on the right is broken inside already. I suspect a previous mechanic was ham-handed and changed a light bulb with way too much force, breaking the delicate inner housing mounts. I havenā€™t checked the left light yet.

Thanks for the info will do

Regards Noel

Thanks kassaq for the info

Regards Noel

Theres a vid on You Tube on it

Has anyone figured out a way to rig the loose housing without taking the full headlight assembly out? Please give your thoughts. My drivers side low beam H-1 ā€œeyeā€ warbles badly. I paid Jaguar of Charleston $1,700 to replace both assemblies in 2013.

what did you ever do on the headlight. My low beam is sagging, and im trying to figure out the best course of action. I dont think taking it completely apart and trying to do a repair is my best option. I was thinking their must be a way to raise it. mike

Hi Mike sorry but missed your post bloody plastic bits have not attempted a fix my wife just drives it daytime only otherwise I use high beam, annoying at best cost to repair couple of grand jaguar should repair as it is dangerous donā€™t you think Noel

Noel & Dot Barrow

Iā€™ve encountered this issue on my '05 X400, thereā€™s a wee plastic tab inside the headlight compartment, on the inner rim, accessed by unscrewing the outer cover.

This tab is used for adjusting the beam when travelling between ā€œkeep leftā€ countries to ā€œkeep rightā€ countries and moves up and down and changes the relationship between the bulb and the reflector. The inner beam closest to approaching drivers is usually politely dipped slightly.
You may find the tab has moved to itā€™s lowest setting.
The tab can be moved up and down to accommodate moving between different countries, itā€™s a weak bit of kit, but a bit of fiddling about made my beams acceptable, also an upgrade to the best Philips bulbs I could get helped.

i solved it this past weekend. Here is my procedure.

1. pulled car in garage to shine lights on wall
    2/ Removed cover, saw that adjusters are broke, as you can move assembly up and down by touching the end of the bulb assembly.
  2. I pulled back the rubber cover on the head light lens, drilled a pilot hole near the top of the lens.
  3. started a self tap screw in very slowly , so to not crack the lens.
  4. As i moved it close to the actual lens, i took my hand on the bulb light assembly, while and as i shined the light on the wall, i adjusted the screw in to brace the assembly to the level similar to the passenger side. Mission accomplished.

Going to have a go thanks Mike

Noel Barrow

OZYINXTYPE

January 21

Going to have a go thanks Mike

Noel Barrow

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

mrbingha
MICHAEL BINGHAM

December 17

i solved it this past weekend. Here is my procedure. pulled car in garage to shine lights on wall 2/ Removed cover, saw that adjusters are broke, as you can move assembly up and down by touching the end of the bulb assembly.
I pulled back the rubber cover on the head light lens, drilled a piloā€¦

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Noel, drill the pilot hole and increase bit size slowly till the screw goes in with some resistance. pick up a few lengths, i think 11/2 is what i ended up with. just make sure your at the top of the lens, Once it touches the lens apparatus then do your adjustment in/out with your hand on the bulb socket, since the unit is just flapping inside. . I assume yours is like mine pointing almost straight down on the roadā€¦