X Type Wagon tailgate window?

Has anyone replaced the lift cylinders for the glass on the X Type Wagon tailgate?

Any tips would be helpful.

I have been having problems also. I haven’t tried anything yet, but my first step will be to find an exploded diagram from either the local dealer’s parts department or on an online parts source.

Graham, Search Jaguar X type manuals to get a free download of 2800 pages of X Type Repair manual. I haven’t had time to research the whole manual.

It downloads as a PDF file.

I have replaced them on my Estate. It requires that you remove the headliner, which is the original problem I had (sagging roof liner). The headliner is retained by clips. Pop them off, the whole headliner drops down and the rear window struts are fully exposed. Took about 1.5 hours.

Steve,
Can you describe the process for unclipping the headliner; where to pull first, etc? Or maybe a link to clip locations? Any advice would be most appreciated, I’d love to change those struts.
Thanks, Alan

Update on changing the rear tailgate glass cylinders.
It is necessary to drop the entire headliner.
I removed the two plastic brackets at the rear of headliner. A torx socket is necessary.
Then remove the 2 sail panels at the rear on each side.
Then you can very carefully lower the rear of headliner about 2" by pulling it out of the rubber seal.
That should be enough space to place a long screwdriver against the front swivel on the cylinder and pop it off the ball. At the rear swivel, there is a small clip on the swivel pin to free up the pin which will slide out then. Be very careful, the pin and clip are just plastic.
Then it is just a matter of popping the ball socket back on at the front and replacing the swivel pin at the back.
The whole process took less than 1/2 an hour.
I just did this last week.

Made a mistake-IT is NOT necessary to drop the whole headliner!

Are there separate struts for just lifting the rear glass versus the complete tailgate?

2.5 years later and Jagwagon is the MAN. Thanks for posting that additional info.

Yeah Pete. There are separate struts for the entire tailgate. The window struts do provide a little extra lift for the complete unit.

Alan

To repeat Alan, yes, there are separate small struts for the glass. And with the new window struts, the glass will go up much easier.

Dennis

Thanks gents. I wasn’t being as dumb or lazy as it may have seemed - the car’s in the UK and I only use it when I’m there.