X300 Help identifying

Hi all,
Inlaws have a x300 1995. They believe its special, I asked what makes it special or a rare type
What indicates if they have a sport or a sovereign. If any.
They have been told it’s a rare type. Is there such a thing as a rare x300?
Number plate has jag-160. He says it means it’s a XJ16 is the 16 something to do with the motor? (I think the 0 is just to make up 6 things on the plate)
XJ16 he says makes it special. ???
The only thing the plates under the hood have is X300, no other numbers, letters that indicate, well anything.

Any help be appreciated
Rodger

“AJ16” is the designation for the engine design, a straight six. Earlier versions of the same engine family were “AJ6”. Nothing rare or unusual as far as any of this goes.

“Sport” versions of the X300 cars seem a bit rare. Does it have a “Sport” emblem on the center pillar?

The was a supercharged version made, the “XJR”…so identified by badging on the trunk lid. About 6500 made so not hugely rare

Cheers
DD

I agree with Doug check the trunk lid for any name plates. If it’s a standard XJ6 it will say that on the trunk lid. Any other model types will have a different badge on the back. If it’s still in good shape that makes it special enough for me. grinning:

Thanks for the reply Doug,

No badges, just XJ6 on the back. I didn’t see any plates / markings on the pillars.
What would it look like

Thanks otto69,

No other badge

160, 000 on the clock. The market price isn’t much, they are looking to sell. They are to old, having trouble getting in and out.

That’s kinda funny, I picked up my XJ8 from a woman who was getting too old to get in and out and her walker was hard to get in the trunk. If it’s in good shape I bet it will sell.

These are the badges that Doug is refering to.
In the UK the bulk of X300s are either a 3.2 or 4.0 Sport if they are the saloon, probably because we don’t have VDPs (AFAIK) it is the Sovereigns that are rare!

What sort of price, would you think. It’s in good shape. What the market like.

Thanks, has none. Only XJ6

Anything over $2,000 would be a good deal for you.

Advertise it at double what you are prepared to accept and test the water! You don’t say the mileage, mdsh, passed tests and a runner etc.