[x300] Re: [X308]1999 XJR Cylinder head R& R Getting Nasty --- SUCCESS!

Progress!
Figuring at this point I had little to lose, I followed Droz’s suggestion, cranked down the regulator on my compressor, and gave the 3/4 inch impact gun about half again as much pressure as the manufacturer said. I started ‘rocking’ the bolt, forward then back, and finally noticed a little movement. Generally with an impact wrench, you will notice slow movement which suddenly accelerates. In this case, the bolt would only move when I first switched direction; if I kept hammering on it, it would freeze and I would have to go back the other way to free it up. I kept reversing direction until it’s finally out. The threads on the bolt are straight but the crankshaft snout is filled with a white powdery corrosion. I have no idea why it was so tough to get out.
Thanks to all for your help. I’m taking tomorrow off to visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA then I will be back at it.

Cheers,
Patrick Cherry
Ojai, CA USA

Just a suggestion, you may benefit from getting a thread chaser for the threads before assembly.

Also for my own curiuosity, did you use copius amounts of penetrating oil on it before tackling it?

Jack - '99 XJ8L PA USE

• snip -

Progress!
Figuring at this point I had little to lose, I followed Droz’s suggestion, cranked down the regulator on my compressor, and gave the 3/4 inch impact gun about half again as much pressure as the manufacturer said. I started ‘rocking’ the bolt, forward then back, and finally noticed a little movement. Generally with an impact wrench, you will notice slow movement which suddenly accelerates. In this case, the bolt would only move when I first switched direction; if I kept hammering on it, it would freeze and I would have to go back the other way to free it up. I kept reversing direction until it’s finally out. The threads on the bolt are straight but the crankshaft snout is filled with a white powdery corrosion. I have no idea why it was so tough to get out.
Thanks to all for your help. I’m taking tomorrow off to visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA then I will be back at it.

Cheers,
Patrick Cherry
Ojai, CA USA

• SNIP -

In reply to a message from Patrick Cherry sent Sat 18 Apr 2009:

I believe the white powder is what red loctite turns to when it is
dry and then ‘‘broken down’’. I blew it out and ran the bolt in and
out a couple times to get rid of it.

Pulling the balancer was a bigger ordeal for me. Hopefully yours
pulls off easy! I ended up rapping the puller ridiculously hard
with a metal rod extending out through the grill. By the end I was
hitting it just in frustration as I had no faith that it was ever