X308 rear shocks

My 2000 XJ8 is in need of new rear shocks. First question, has anyone used anything other than Bilstein’s and are they happy with them.
B I was looking at the archives and there was an article on how to drop the A frame but I get an error 404 not found. Would anyone have a current link to the page. I know it’s hard to find the correct spring compressors at many small repair shops and there aren’t too many Jag wrenches that have low $$$ labor rates if I decide to have someone else to the job.

I’ve a set of Monroe’s on my 02 VDP and have been very pleased with them.

No need for a spring compressor.

In my case, I unbolted the front corner of the rear sub-frame and the rear pendulum arm, easy to lower the rear control arm enough to free the spring.

Pretty sure I needed to hang the caliper and abs sensor out of the way to keep from stretching the hoses/wires

There is a video on Ebay with a tech showing, in real time, how to replace each side’s shock within 25 minutes. I think Bob G. (?) provided the link to it in response to a post of mine a few weeks ago on this. I had asked about doing it on my X-300, but can’t remember if the procedure is the same for an X-308 or not (or which model is featured in that video).

btw, the option to Bilsteins at most major shock places seems to be Monroes for our cats, although Pep Boys said they would have to special order mine out of Indiana for some reason, so maybe they are scarce. ? The price for the shocks themselves was around $150 or so for the pair.

This is an excellent YT video on replacing the X300 but likely the same for the X308. A friend used this method. He said it worked perfectly.

Richard

Yep, that’s it, Richard. Thanks for posting it here. I’d LOVE to show it to the techs at Pep Boys and see if now they will lower their shop time down from 3+ hours to 1 hr. to replace my shocks, but they’d probably give me the Pep Finger … :no_mouth:

btw, Otto, I’m curious … how many miles does your 2000 have on her? Harlem is approaching 170K and so far there has not been a peep out of her rear end (or bouncing) … I’m hoping maybe the PO had already replaced her rear shocks … :pray:

Paul it wasn’t my shocks that were the problem it was the play in the upper isolators and lower bushes that caused a lively backend!

I’m at 93k. I did the fronts 2 yrs ago and am beginning to get a hop on the road and the rear takes a while to respond when you give it a shove down. My 01 with 55k on it rides like new.

Just used this method to replace rear shocks and bushings on my 95 XJ6. Worked perfectly. misinterpreted which bolts to loosen on the carrier so the first replace (right side) took 5 hours. Then did the left side in 1 hour.
Suggestions:

1. Try to use a 4 point lift - we rented a bay at our local DIY Garage.
  2. Before starting, use some strong string or waxed cord to tie the new shock to the fully compressed position. Just tie a loop around the shock top, fully compress shock and tightly tie the string through the bottom bushing. This will hold the shock compressed and some shock manufacturers have shipped their shocks with the “compression string” pre-installed. After install just use a knife or scissors to cut the string.

I was quoted $588 by Pep Boys to do this job. Bought the same Monroe shocks at half the quoted price and should have completed the job in less than 1/2 the time quoted.