X308 rear suspension removal

It’s time for new shocks in the back of my 2000 X308. My question is can you do a removal of the unit without using a spring compressor. I saw a video on an X300 using a screw jack to take the pressure off the spring . Will that work on a 308?

A couple of questions.

1. when you refer to the “unit” are you referring to the IRS unit
  2. or the shock and spring as a “unit”?

Either way at some point you’re going to need a spring compressor, and the retaining straps or some fabricated variation.

Spring compressors are cheap. and the one that Jaguar lists looks very much like a McPherson Strut spring compressor. Though, I haven’t replaced anything on the suspension on my X308 but I am well acquainted with the tools required to work on and XJ IFS and IRS.

I went through the trials and tribulations of attempting to save a buck or two by not using a spring compressor. I was able to removed the springs with a trolley jack which worked just fine, Putting it back together was a different story. Long story short, the a spring compressor was required.

Then there’s the safety issue. The last thing you’re gonna want to experience is the spring un-compressing after slipping off the trolley jack. I’m speaking from experience, it’s down right scary. It makes a hell of a racket, breaks stuff in its path. After the noise, I sat there wondering If I was alive, wondering what just had happened, looking for blood and and severed body parts. Not a good idea.

I know with the older XJ’s I couldn’t find a spring compressor that worked as it should, so I ended purchasing a standard spring compressor, taking the hooks off, and fabricated the appropriate plates to make it work as it should. Special tools for the older XJ’s are pretty much non existent, and fabrication is pretty the only option.

I’ve got the steps to remove the shock as well as the IRS. PM and I’ll send it to you.

Be safe
Mark

I gave up using the recommended method when I worked at the Jaguar dealer. About 15 years ago all of the mechanics at the dealer I worked at started lowering the rear lower arms by bending the plate under the diff.
This allows the arms to fall lower to get the springs/dampers out without the STUPID/DANGEROUS special tools.

Bend the living $H!T out of the plate and wedge something to keep it DOWN.

The arms will drop far enough to allow the springs/dampers to be removed!!!

Jack the plate back into place and install the bolts.

You can do the job any way you like but I have replaced dozens of dampers this way and I actually make money at it. Customers appreciate the time saving method.

bob

The screw jack does remove the spring pressure enough to allow easy removal/insertion of the lower bolt, but that’s about the extent of it.

If you can get the car up on a hoist, you can do it exactly like in the guy in the video. It’s more awkward doing it on jack stands but it can be done (small bottle jack). A pair of ebay spring compressors like these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Coil-Spring-Strut-Compressor-Remover-Installer-Suspension-Tool-US/262677216700?hash=item3d28c83dbc:g:afcAAOSwmLlYA31h

can sometimes help but you’ll have to whack about 3" off the threaded rod to make them fit as they’re a bit long out of the box - there isn’t much room up there to wiggle things around.

I’m not anything like as experienced as Bob but I’ve done this job about 4 times and IMHO the Jaguar spring compressors in the illustration above look like a pain in the ass for XJ40, X300,& X308 rear suspensions.

Thanks for the input. Mark I was meaning the shock/spring assembly as the unit. Not too many folks have a spring compressor for the Jags around here. The guys that did the front end work on my old 308 had a heck of a time with the springs. The video I saw had them unbolt that panel and then drop the arm on a screw jack to take off the pressure and remove the unit to replace the shock on a 300. My new wrench was thinking of doing that but I feared there may be problems. I’m not doing that job laying on the ground I can see having it in the air would make it much easier.

Cheers

thanx for the tip Bob, good to know!

The shock and spring are separate units on the x308 unlike the xj40. As Bob says the shock can come out without having to compress the spring.

Admittedly there is a difference with earlier incarnations of the XJ40 with pressed wishbones.

My late (94MY) XJ40 has cast wishbones and is the same setup as the X300 and X308. I also fitted the X308 triangulated cross brace to my car’s rear suspension.

I’ve taken the rear shocks out several times without a hoist (axle stands) and yes it can be done on the floor; essential to remove those bolts in the rear subframe to get the wishbones to drop low enough though - plus - FWIW - having a small amount of compression on the springs DOES make removal/installation a little less of a grunt for old farts like me rolling around on the floor.

If you’ve got a hoist and the screw jack available, just do it like the guys in the video.

Going to show the video to my wrench and hope he’s on board for doing the job. Thanks for the input guys…