XJ-C vinyl roof

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it’s necessary to remove both screens to fit a new vinyl roof to the Coupe?

Anthony

Does anyone know? Yup, the only person whose opinion counts for your XJC the intended craftsman. They vinyl has to go under the seal but not necessarily all the way around the aperture edges. I think my Greensand DD6 Coupe did have its black vinyl wrapped over the upper rear window edge at least, but it was a rot box some decades ago, and what the factory did on the assembly line might not be what today’s craftsmen do with current materials. I’d want sealant all along the seal though, especially at the corners.

I was just thinking about you and the 94 Daimler today, because someone else has popped up on X300 with a 94 manual XJR6 I used to own. I’d enjoy either car again, and it reminds me of the old saying to be nice to people on the way up, as you might meet them again on the way down! :slight_smile:

Hi
The vinyl overlaps/wraps around the screen lip all the way round.
Whether you take the screens out will depend on how you feel about the condition of your bodywork around the lower corners especially. It could be a good opportunity to inspect and make good any corrosion but it could grow into a big job!!
If you have suspicions about the areas or if you seals are hardened then I would recommend taking the screens out.
There’s quite a useful video at https://youtu.be/6WNmFrpM4Rw FWIW.
As usual YMMV

Thanks, Anjum and Peter - looks like we’ll have to play it by ear when the time comes ! I see that Norman Motors still has NOS coupe vinyls, and SNGs have repro ones - maybe a modern material could be better, although it seems that the originals last pretty well.

Good to hear from you, Peter ! Trust life is treating you well across the pond. The X300 got a bit rusty, I was all set to have a go at it but someone wanted to take it on and I let it go. Replaced it with a Daimler X308 7 or 8 years ago, which is faring rather better. Interesting to compare the two - the 308 is quicker but slightly more thirsty, but both very reliable. Still have the E Type and 3.4 Mk2, the query re the vinyl is that I’m hopefully in the process of buying an XJ6-C, a nice low mileage car.