XJ manual trans

Hi Folks,
I have a 4 speed all synchro manual trans as fitted to lwb E Types, XJ6 and XJS. It has the intermediate length tailshaft. Was intending to fit it to my S1 XJ12 but couldn’t find a bellhousing and flywheel for the V12. It is now surplus to requirements, complete with pedal box, console, propshaft etc.for S1 XJ6. Any idea what it would be worth?
Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

others will know more about it, but I always understood that XJ cars either had 4 speed OD gearboxes or five speed boxes, but never the 4 speed boxes as used on E types. Within the Jaguar universe a conversion might be a walk in the park, but chances are it isn’t . Also I seem to remember that the XJS platform is similar in size to the XJ SWB/XJ coupé platform, whereas most XJ sedans are LWB, making the prop shaft another candidate for fabrication.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hi Jochen,
Thanks for the reply. This box came from a poverty model S1 XJ6, manual windows, cloth upholstery. Overdrive was an option, this car had a 3.54 diff, same as auto,.This was a short wheelbase car, but XJS is shorter still. Xj6 used a 2 piece propshaft, the forward part had the sliding spline. The manual trans is exactly the same length and bolted up using the same bolt holes in the floor as the BW12 auto box, so the propshaft should be the same.I bought the car after an under bonnet fire and wrecked it. Seems like a very rare model, maybe I should have restored it, but this was 30 years ago and there wasn’t a lot of information about them then. FYI the chassis number is(was) 1L-28380 no DN or BW suffix as on o\d or auto trans models.If you have the Paul Skilleter book Jaguar Saloon Cars, the gearbox is the same as that shown in the section on the XJS,with the exception of the bellhousing, of course.
Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin,
The transmission shift cover is where the value is…if it is the same as the E Type then you have value, If on the other hand it is the same as the xj6 manual overdrive (laycock) it does not. The reason is, every xj6 manual overdrive has a shift cover that will work for an E Type but the shift position is 1.5 inches farther back…something that can be lived with but the center counsel has to be modified. So a short E Type shift cover and only a 4.2 will move the lever forward…
It is all in the cover…I bought this week a 4.2 synchro trans off ebay from California for $500…had the correct cover but missing the shifter…this will need to be fabricated…just so happens I have an excellent fab guy in Phoenix…still I was the only bidder…of course…good trans other wise. It cost $145 to ship fed ex plus $40 to crate…Thus your trans has no value until someone needs the gears. And the bell housing should have value.

Believe it or not the real value in your xj6 is the Bees Bolts…the bolts.

And maybe a hotroder will want the 354 gears as 288 are common…

To bad it is not a Laycock…

Kevin,

Further…the pedal box has value…buy the box and hope for a laycock

A note, be careful with Ebay the buyer is ALWAYS right…ALWAYS… and can return anything even if you do not allow returns…I have gas tanks from my '69 xj6…brand new…but shipping is $55 and if the buyer is a flake then I have to pay return shipping…so a $150 sale gets returned then I have to pay $110 shipping plus refund the $150 cost…NO SIR the tanks can rot…FOR GET IT.

To use the trans example from above…if I was a flake the seller would have to pay $145 times 2 on a $500 sale…selling big items on ebay is a NO NO. Do research Sellers are always left paying.

It happened to me once…I shipped a very nice rear bumper from my '69 xj6 to Texas…buyer was nuts…I will never sell anything that costs real money to ship again on ebay…never

And while I am on the subject…I have been following bring a trailer…if you do not think there are SHILLS you need tp think again. I grew up in the auto business…as my dad said, there is always a little larceny…ALWAYS.
But shills take it to another level

1 Like

Hi Mitch,
Thanks for the good advice. You are indeed correct; the E Type lever is directly above the rear of the gearbox casing, whereas the XJ lever is about 3 inches aft. I Googled Jaguar 4 speed and found NO gearboxes available anywhere worldwide, so assumed this would be worth thousands rather than hundreds. Never mind, can stay in the garage for another few years, must be worth something to someone eventually.I actually still have the ownership papers, plates and ID plate from the donor car, so could buy another car and fit the box to that.
Cheers,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Not sure where you are in the world but in the US (where I am), Series 1 Manual Trans cars are rare. I’m in the midst of a conversion right now that I’ve been collecting parts for for literally years… At this point I have 2 manual overdrive transmissions. One of them cost me $1800 US shipped with 4.2 bellhousing, newly surfaced flywheel, a used up old clutch and a new slave cylinder. A year later I got another one from ebay and it cost $350 + shipping (no flywheel). The cheap one was actually in better shape.

As far as pedal boxes for series 1’s - I got a rusty old nightmare RHD one from the UK a few years ago for 1 pound but it cost 35 to ship. Got a better one -RHD again - from the guy I got the cheap tranny from for $100 USD.

Again after years of looking I got a Series 1 metal console cover for manual trans from the UK for 75 pounds + shipping. They’ve become hard to find…

So it really depends where you are and if you find someone like me who wants a manual transmission Series 1 XJ6 real bad.

~Mike
72 XJ6 (x2)
73 XJ6
85 XJ6
84 XJS

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info, that’s what I wanted to know. I’m in New Zealand, so probably not worth shipping anywhere. I wonder how many non-overdrive cars were made; might be worth recreating the donor car as I have the requisite parts. I owned an overdrive S1 XJ6 back in the eighties. Wonderful car, plenty of grunt for overtaking, especially if you switched out of overdrive. Good on gas too. There are a few here in NZ; all the ones I have seen (including mine) were 1970 and all with manual windows. Probably worth $3000 -$4000 more than equivalent condition automatic…(about $13000 NZ.) Would think the manual was quicker on the open road in normal driving than my S1 XJ12, especially at normal road speeds, (50-80mph) Much nicer to drive than an automatic too.
Cheers

The XJ-S platform IS the S1 XJ SWB platform, as is the Aston Martin DB7.

Nick

Kevin,
I’m actually chomping at the bit to use my other gearbox for a S1 XJ12 manual conversion as you mentioned. Gotta find one OR a good pre-HE v12 cause I have a good S1 XJ6 donor body and a XJ12 Grill.

Too bad you’re in NZ. I could use that 3.54 rear end. I live on a mountain and I can really tell the difference between my S3 with the 2.88 and my S1’s with 3.54 on the inclines. The S3 is not all that happy going up in top gear while my well-worn 73 has no problem.

Cannot wait to find out how it is to drive my XJ6 with the manual!! Should be ready to go in a couple of weeks.

~Mike

Hi Nick,
Sorry to disagree with you, but the XJS has a wheelbase of 8’6" (102 inches) whereas the SWB Xj6 has a wheel base of 9’0.75" (108 inches) Have you seen how much rear seat legroom there isn’t in an XJS; would not make for a comfortable 4 door saloon. Long wheelbase XJ6’s had another 4" added to the wheelbase.
Cheers

Hi Mike,
Must be exciting with the car nearly ready.I no longer have the 3.54, that was one of the first parts to go. Over here they are ( or least were, 30 years ago) very popular with the hot rod fraternity. I recently sold my S1 XJ12 after 29 years of ownership. I had fitted a 4.2 to it as the V12 had a blown headgasket and it seemed at the time an expedient solution, as I had several complete donor cars.To be honest, I think the 4.2 was more lively at normal road speeds, but only 1-2 mpg better at 20mpg. The V12 was good for 16-18mpg with a best of 19 on an economy run. I sold the XJ12 , a DoubleSix Daimler and a shed full ( as in 2 truckloads) of XJ parts for $3000. Only 1 bidder.All I kept was the gearbox and associated parts. Previously owned about 20 “classic” Jags but have moved on to XK8 convertible which I love.
Cheers

Where abouts are you in NZ Kevin?

How many listers do we have in NZ.?
David in Hawera

Hi Robin,
I am in Tauranga.

Ah Gods staging post :slight_smile: