XJ needs to be moved after 20 years... help please

It is possible to put too much grease in there - I expect it can come out and go where it shouldn’t but i’m not really sure. Someone will know.

My newly packed (possibly overpacked?) hubs have happily leaked, leaving some rather attractive patterns as centrifugal forces make runs of black grease/oil out to the edge of the wheel. Rather like monochrome spin painting, where you drop paint into the center of a spinning canvas.

Hopefully it will reduce/stop as time goes on.

Happened to me too in the S3, odd thing is it didn’t in the S1 and I pumped both full until it came out the vent hole. The hub caps collected a nice pattern. May not be necessary but the manual says to. The leaking will stop eventually. In my case it wasn’t much and it can’t go in critical places, maybe it can if the rear seal is really bad.

Yes it is, and yes it will… The grease warms up and expands.
What I did was, once filled to empty the cap from all the grease and plug the hole with a tape or a tiny screw. Some still manages to escape, but not much.

The color of the grease is an uncertain indicator, Max - but ‘body grease’ for slow moving parts like ball joints are a different beast than that meant for bearings. Read the label…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It’s definitely the right stuff for bearings. I just liked the idea of the color changing to dark when its used. I know it makes no difference.

Circa 1950. I was in college. My after class and summer job was at a full service Texaco station., My boss taught us how to pack front hubs. Lubricate the Zerk fittings and more, including how to secure the front hubs with new cotter pins.
Chassi lube in drum with an air powered gun to shoot the Zerks,. Marfa long fiber grease for the front wheel bearings. Work the grease into the bearing. Never spin whehn freshly washed in gasoline!! Packing ghe spae between the bearings was a waste. Tis been years since I packed a bearing. but, did it that way. Were i to do a set now, unlikely, I would do it again. Same way.
it works!!!

Carl

6 Likes

Got the New Plug wires… Spend some time with a label printer.
Btw is it possible to take off the red rubber covers of the old ones without breaking them? I feel like that would make it look more original.

Lets make these calipers look all pretty. I don’t think the paint will last all that long on these but Ill give it a shot anyway.

3 Likes

The paint will last! Remember, it’s also on your exhaust. My aluminium paint is still going strong.
The caps, not worth the hassle now but do keep them for some later time. I like that thought.

I have trouble finding the time but I spend a short 2 hours today.
Believe it or not, this is the 4th time I am doing the rubber hoses to the injectors.

1. Redid them before I found out the engine was broken.
  2. Redid them on the parts car.
  3. Redid them with apparently bad quality hoses. They were too big even though they said 8mm on them. No idea why but I remeasured them today and they were a little over 9mm ID. Those went in the trash.
  4. Redid them hopefully for the last time for a while with higher quality hose. They are called “Gates” if anyone cares. Looks much better and they were leak free without any issues. I took the opportunity to replace all clamps coonected to the fuel system under the bonnet with the nicer ones that rip the hoses.

2 Likes

I still have a water pump Issue that is very annoying.

I have two Pumps that both leak at the very same spot. I asked David to take the better one with him since he had access to a press. He disassembled it for me and as it turns out the Overhaul kit does not match the internals of the pump. I asked the usual suspects and they are not able to find a pump kit that will match what I have. They seem to all have the same 2 kits available for various prices but DMG actually measured their kits against what I send them and they said they cannot help me.

Anyone have an idea?

Left is what I need. Right is what everyone seems to sell…

Another core to match the available kit?

Or a visit to a bearing and seal specialty shop to see if seals are available for the left version.

HAHA… If I lived somewhere where that was possible under a gazillion dollars. I call it “Service Wüste Deutschland”

Today was Sunny out. I went to see a friend and help him put a hitch on the back of his Ford Family Wagon… In return I got to use his Press and a tool to take my old Tires of the rims. They hold air perfectly but after standing without air for at least 10 of the 20 some years I think these are past their due date… You can even see the flat sport where they were standing on all these years.

Well took quite a bit of elbow grease but I got them done. I am planning on cleaning them good and throwing some paint on them.

Off to water-pump number two.

First I used the Puller to get the top off

Then I used the press to knock the bearing out.

Of course with my luck this pump is the same make and model with the same bearing that I can not find a replacement for…

2 Likes

If the bearing size is the only difference what about getting a bush turned up to make up the difference?

Not sure where to find that… Who would have thought a water pump would cause such an issue…

Meet my very own creation. The Original block of my families XJ6. No Jaguar Parts where hurt in the making of this Wine Stand.

I did not know what to do with and it would have broken my heart to throw it away.

9 Likes

Max, it might be time to cut your losses and get a replacement water pump? I did that several years ago and have two kits for the original pump, along with the pump, in my parts bin. FWIW.

1 Like

Not sure how I missed this but the thing has been sitting on my desk for a couple of days… and today while working on school stuff I was messing with it to distract myself. Well look at that! there is a a part number after all!

Looks like FPS274 is what I am looking for. Weirdly enough that part is definitely not in my parts catalog for the S3. Well It’s a start. Ill have to look if I can find this one somewhere. At least one of the usual suspects seems to think this is in fact EAC 3036.

How about blocking the coolant openings to the head and connectiong the coolant lines with a fridge?:slight_smile: How many people did it take to carry this simple six bottle container to your living room, if I may ask?

Just gorgeous!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes