XJ-S 1990 V12 US - remove steering rack

Hello XJ-S enthusiasts.
I am going to rebuild my leaking steering rack, but the main problem seems to be remove it from the car.
I have seen perfect guidance on youtube @LivingWithAClassic which was for EU version of V12. Unfortunately US version has big CAT which obstruct access to it.
Do I need to remove the CAT or do you think is possible to remove/install it without removing CAT ? Because CAT removing would be also big pain :frowning:

2 Likes

I would remove the cat and leave it out.

1 Like

I just recently removed and rebuilt steering rack without removing cat only parts removed was heat shield and oil filter,little tight but doable

2 Likes

If i remember, only fiddly part next to downpipes is removing the steering linkage at top tower of rack. Loosening bracket bolt inside interior, and removing bracket bolt on rack should be enough to lift it off.
Turning steering wheel helps access bottom bolt/nut.

Removing the pinch bolt from the racks tower that connects to the steering shaft is a bitch. After that it’s fairly straightforward. No need to remove the cats.
I know of no one who has satisfactory rebuild these racks as a DIY project. If possible purchase a rebuild unit.

1 Like

Thank you guys,
I have steering rack resealed and installed back :slight_smile:
(I didn’t rebuild whole rack, only resealed top part, and i looks successful)
It was patience test to connect back the pipes and steering rod universal joint.
Unexpectedly the biggest problem was one rack holding bolt which was rotten to bushing …

Just completed the same steering rack project. (Had it rebuilt for around $500.00 US dollars.) No need to remove the CATs, as they are above the steering rack. Just pull the entire unit out and replace the ball joints on the ends too (very inexpensive). Tricky part is reconnecting the brake fluid lines.