myself on my vehicle. Thanks much.

John Salla
1988 XJS Jaguar (Hess & Eisenhardt)–
jsalla
Somerdale, New Jersey, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

// please trim quoted text to context only

Hi,

would be interested if any news are available on this. Just received my car some days ago and for sure I need a a new top.

Dorin

1988 HE convertible H&E and 1984 HE

HI there

I used to have an H&E XJ-S … fortunately never needed to do the top. Only issue was the common oxidation of the paint, especially RED, which mine was before a guy ran a red light.

This is one thing I am almost certain you will need to go custom on.
Any experienced upholstery shop can do, no different than other convertible tops and interior work, etc.

They may be able to simply replace the worn section depending on your situation or needs.

Should I find nothing searching online, I would seek out some upholstery shops and speak with them.

One hopes you possess the wisdom, especially being on this forum, not to take it to some specialized, foreign car service, etc…
Body work is body work, a convertible top is a convertible top, etc…

Being in N Texas, as example, there are great craftsmen here. Many smaller machine and body shops, shops of all sorts about. Especially on the outskirts, less expensive, and do great work.

Hope you have a similar environment or seek out the possibility.

Otherwise, depending on situation, I would consider buying one of the later post 89 replacements online which are very reasonably priced on e b a y…

Uncertain of the precise differences, however depending if you find an upholstery shop or fella who can do the work but doesn’t have the material, it could be a great template, or even modification?

Worth seeking out the precise dimensions of the later model tops, perhaps a retro fit mod is possible?

Best of luck and update with what you do. It helps others.

Regards

There’s a company in Charlotte NC called Kee tops they’ve been around for years. They cater to the installers and I think they offer a replacement top for the H & E convertible. They have a web site

1 Like

Thanks Demian,

Not too many good shops for convertible tops here in Romania. For leather I have some good craftsman and upholstery shops but not for convertible tops (weather here is more like in NY State area over the year so very few convertible).

Would check more the net. Thanks a lot.

Dorin

Thanks Wayne,

Will contact them and update also here what I finally done.

For me would be great to have an advice from somebody that actually replaced the top.

Best,

Dorin

Wow Romania?
I’ve traveled extensively, traveled northern Romania. Beautiful place and people. Hard life though in many areas, but I was traveling rural places, Bucovina and Maramures region.

I’m sure Euro, tourism, and tech helped a lot since I’ve been there and travel business and cities changed a lot.

Anyway, you must be only one around with an XJS H&E !

Yes, If I were you I’d check out ebay and get a later top sent to you and find way to modify what you have. It’s possible.

Some nip and tuck may be necessary. Fabric is fabric. it can be done. An experienced upholstery person can sew it and do all. You’ll need to be a bit creative i think here.

Seems only way, especially due to your location.

Measure twice and cut once!

All the best

Are you talking about fitting a Jaguar convertible top to an H&E? I can’t imagine that working any better than fitting a top from a Mustang. Has anyone actually done it?

Thanks guys for all advice.

Personally I agree with Kirbert that would not fit as the Factory Jaguar is different, most probably bigger top is required.

What I found until now is:

A) Kee Auto tops - https://www.keeautotop.com/catalog/category/894-1988-.html

Manufactures top for Hess. Top only for around 450 USD.
They will receive the old glass from me and attach to the new top.
Need to understand if the above price includes my glass attached to top or not.
Good customer service for the moment - answered pretty fast to my mail.

B) Convertibletopguys - https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/801/1986-88-Jaguar-XJS-Hess-Eisenhardt-Conversion-
They manufacture the top for Hess - price 390 USD, they want the customer to attach the original glass! Not sure I want/can do that.

C) Worldupholstery - they do top for Hess - price around 1.100 USD - over my budget yet.

D) Electron Auto Top has something in there catalog - working my way through.

Still wondering nobody in the forum has a Hess that required top replacemnt to give a ““hands on opinion”” on a supplier?

Thanks again, I did not expected so many answers.

Best

1 Like

Offtopic,

Yes Romania that indeed developed a lot last years but mainly major cities.

Rural areas are still cousy and somehow poor.

You’'ve seen the best anyway!

1 Like

Awesome! …great info for others.
Thanks for posting that.

I still believe it’s doable. I’ve worked extensively on both models, analyzed in detail both tops considering just such a thing and felt possible.

But it’s been years andmany lifetimes ago now.

The later 89+ is actually a bit bigger actually from what i recall. But not by much. They are actually vety similar, but of course the rear glass section is a fundamental modification.

I just felt for some reason you were on the moon out there with no other options.

I’m surprised too nobody has attempted what i prescribed as jaguar enthusiasts are nuts, i mean, resourceful…

…or other resources mentioned within archives. Yours are the most comprehensive I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, i haven’t had my h&e for yrs, nor other xjs…returning after yrs abroad i got a 72 s1 xj6…your post just caught my eye!

Memories…

Have nice summer.

Well,

Thanks. Most probably possible if you have the skills and the time.

Myself I would like to spend part of the nice summer driving the car than cutting a top that belongs to another car. I really don’t think I have the skills and also not found a professional on this locally yet.

For sure I will go for one provider from the list and if I don’t find a pro will try to do the job myself.

1 Like

?
You can’t imagine it working better than a mustang top?? Really?

Seriously.

Identical cars here. Body dimensions identical.

Jaguar always cross pollinates and changes little as necessary in production.

The differences here are negligible…

Window dimensions actually same despite fixed vent window on h&e front windows, and small, rising body peak at rear ones on '89+ yrs irrelevant.

2 fuel tanks on h&e irrelevant here too and would not cause fitting issues.

Rear window section will need to be swapped, or larger window found to be bonded within new top.

I don’t see many issues fitting a later top on h&e frame, perhaps some nip and tuck, slight mods at most.

Not difficult to imagine.

…and it depends what areas of top are damaged and need replacement. Sections alone can be used perhaps, bonded/sewn.

Anyway, I’m not repeating myself again. I was clear regarding thought process, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

Otherwise, per a quick search, a possible help:

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/jaguar.php

Update:

Received the samples from Kee Auto Tops - looks good. Promising customer service.

I have to ship my window tough and they will attach for an extra 150-200 USD (depending on amount of work required (quoted from there e-mail).

Will keep you updated.

Update here,

Got a new top and 2 new cables from Convertible Top Guys - www.convertibletopguys.com Price 421 USD + shipping

Not installed yet.

Will update after installation.