XJ-S Parking brake adjustment

Here is ny 1990 park brake agjuster!

1. Is this the only adjustment lication? It would be neat if there was a second potential adjustment at the calipers.

2. My photo shows the threads all tve way back. Is this the full adjustment or the mimimum adjustment?

I adjusted it the other way and got no result. The nuts would not return to the testing position when setting and releasing the brake.

All I want us a functioning park brake. Collective wisdom needed please.

Calipers are self-adjusting. With age and heat the grease turns to glue and they don’t move. When you overhaul rear calipers, you take the Ebrake calipers apart, clean them, and regrease with hi temp silicone-based grease.

1 Like

Thanks Greg, great suggestion.
Any ideas about which direction tightens up the cable adjustment? I am guessing the threaded piece is connected to the cable housing. So, all the way back (as in the photo above) tightens or loosens? Hoping somebody has experienced this and knows

The adjustment doesn’t help you. You need to look at the hand brake pads and make sure the calipers can move freely and that they self adjust.

The self adjustment needs a certain amount of travel so loosen the adjustment a little bit so the wire is not pulled tight and then pull the handbrake a few times until the play is taken up.

Crystal clear! Self-adjusting!!! Thanks, now I see why the manual says very little about handbrake adjustment… :sweat_smile:
I will give the calipers a good cleaning with fresh lubrication and renew the pads. Then tighten the cable up to eliminate major slack only.
The exhaust pipe routings are really rough on brake caipers. I am thinking I will wrap the portions of pipe inside the IRS cage for heat protection and preventive maintenance.

Good! If you drop the IRS you should look at the rubber bushings (the four V mounts can delaminate - dangerous!). The IRS weighs 160 kilos. Relubricating the handbrake calipers is rewarding. The brass fingers that spread the pads can be bent back but break sometimes. My rebuilt handbrake pulls just as good as the rear hydraulic calipers!

That’s awesome results that I’d like to acheive. Not planning on droping the IRS now, new calipers all around by previous owners mechanic. I have bern through a couple IRS on E-type projects.

Not planning on getting carried away like this one was. 1966 ots 1E12025 on xkedata… I think the handbrake calipers are identical to these. I guess I just forgot
http://xke.collectordata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E12025

Woops, not identical but very similar.

Depends, the early ones didn’t self adjust.
Drop it or live with it!
I once removed and replaced one hand brake from a 4.2 S1 E type with the IRS in place and will never do that again.
But maybe you can drop it just a little and that‘ll give you enough space. It’s much easier than the E type, wider cage etc.
If that’s too much work try loosening the wire, a few hard pulls and maybe even get under the car and lever the calipers directly. Maybe that does it.

Ok, looks like the pads were put in wrong. Cut off edge should match the curve of the disc. Nothing on the calipers feels tight but I will crack them open to make sure grease is perfect.

Ratchet them a few time and unscrew them again. If that works on each, a bit of grease won’t hurt - glad you took them out!

Ratcheting great! As soon as I receive the pads and lock tabs I’ll get them instalked.

To remove, I just slid them over the top and down the back of the disc and out the side.

Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like