[xj-s] Toolkit contents for 1990 XJS?

I am reassembling a toolkit for my 1990 XJ-S. I have the case
and some of the tools. Does anyone have a list of all the components?
I have the lug nut wrench and the jack handle, but nothing else.

The Parts catalogue lists the components as:-

CAC3437    Complete Kit - 5.3 Coupe
 CBC2158    Complete Kit - 5.3 Cab and conv
 CAC6998    Complete Kit - 3.6 Coupe
 CAC9466    Complete Kit - 3.6 Cab and Conv

CAC3422    Tool kit Box
 CAC2740    Wheel Brace
 C36613 2   Tommy bar
 AFU 1024   Pliers
 562019 J   Tyre pressure gauge
 CAC7000    Spark plug spanner - 3.6
 CAC5368    Spark plug spanner - 5.3
 565770 J   Screwdriver - Coupe
 CAC8943    Screwdriver - Cabriolet
 CBC2159    Spanner 9 x 11mm
 CBC2160    Spanner 0.375 x 0.4375 AF
 CBC2162    Spanner 13 x 15 mm
 CBC2161    Spanner 0.5 x 0.5625 AF
 CBC2164    Spanner 0.25 x 0.75 AF
 C9126      21W Bulb
 JLM9589    4w Bulb
 JLM9587    5w Bulb
 541572     20A fuse
 DAC1480    3A fuse
 C39572     35A fuse

Why on earth the Cabriolet has a different screwdriver I can't say.

Happy hunting.

Richard

I am reassembling a toolkit for my 1990 XJ-S. I have the case
and some of the tools. Does anyone have a list of all the components?
I have the lug nut wrench and the jack handle, but nothing else.

I realize that I am very late to the party, but I see someone lingering around …

I just received a Unipart BL Part Jaguar XJ-S HE Parts Catalogue, March 1983 and I am attaching scans (hard to get good scans from the book) of the parts diagrams and part numbers of the Tool Kit and the Jack in case anyone else is interested in them. The Tool Kit contents and Jack may have changed over the years … or may not have?

Jerry,
Wow, your replied to a 25 year old post! That has to be some kind of record. :slight_smile:
Yes, some of the tools changed over the years, and so have some of the part numbers. We have a 1990 XJ-S convertible and the Jaguar Parts Catalogue RTC9900CA (January 1987 on) that goes along with it shows some differences.
The jack for 1990 is a newer design, JLM1020 and the bag (CAC1722) was made out of a different brown cloth material instead of the original black bags.
I looked at the tools in your picture of the tool kit and compared them to my later Parts Catalogue. Although the parts seem the same, the part numbers of some of them have changed possibly due to changes in suppliers.

Paul

Paul, I did a search on tool kits and that is the thread which came up.

I figured I might help some with the parts book drawing. I also figured there would be updates, but wasn’t sure, which is why I included the parts book date for year/age reference.

Anyone with a newer parts book drawing showing updated parts could post a newer drawing which will help those with newer years.

I found it interesting to look through the parts book and look at each drawing. Allows me to have a mental reference for when I see something different on the car than what I remember, and gives me a place to go check for what was original.

Jerry,
I have the Jaguar Parts Catalogues for all of my Jaguars and find them a great resource when working on my cars or buying parts.
The Jaguar Parts Catalogues are copyrighted documents and I don’t agree that we should post pictures of them on Jag-Lovers.

Paul

1 Like

Okay, but then what about all the drawings and parts of drawings which have been posted?

And lists of part numbers which come from either copyrighted pdf files or books?

And all the manufacturer’s stuff which is posted?

I suspect that “slippery slope” has already been turned into a waterslide (dare I say “Slip N Slide”)?

Jerry,
I suggest that you review the Jag-Lovers “Terms of Service” regarding the posting of copyrighted material that you agreed to when you joined.

Paul

1 Like

Paul, I think i have. Do you have the same reservations about the second post in this thread … even with that post being 25 years old?

That list looks like a copied list from a parts book - but I may be wrong. I will look at a similar list in my book.

Jerry,
My hard copy Jaguar Parts Catalogues (and many of the other Jaguar documents that I own) all have a clear copyright statement on the last page. Jag-Lovers has clear Terms of Service that restrict what can be posted. I have been a Jag-Lovers member for 22 years and during that time there have been law suits, and threats of law suits over copyrighted items being posted.
I can’t speak to the post from 25 years ago, but I saw what I believed to be a copyrighted document in your post and I brought that to your attention. If you want further clarification, I suggest that you contact a list admin.

Paul

If you look up fair use on copyright law, use of short excerpts from copyright material is allowable for teaching and educational purposes. That is what people are doing here. One or two pages out of several hundred to educate as part of a post constitutes fair use, IMHO. If someone posted the entire parts manual, that would be a different matter.

I agree with Jon, and that is what I have always been told and advised. The other aspect is: if the information is provided for payment, then, no, it cannot be replicated and “sold”; however, if the information is provided free, then it is as Jon said.

Nevertheless, though, this morning I went to the Jaguar Contact Us page and asked:

“I have old Jaguar manuals, owner/service/parts catalogues as I have owned classic Jaguar cars, currently own a 1983 Jaguar XJS. Like others do, I occasionally provide info to others free on Jaguar forums: part numbers, part number lists, service procedures, parts drawings, etc to others to help them maintain their classic Jaguars. Being as none of the Jaguars are new, under warranty, or even currently serviced by Jaguar dealers - is providing such information to others okay given Jaguar copyrights?”

The form limited the number of characters, so I kept revising the background and question until I could include as much as possible for their consideration in their answer.

I will post their answer when I receive it … which I suspect will not be for awhile as no one will likely be able to provide their acceptable answer without their attorneys being involved.

Well, I suspect there are two answers.

1. Has to do with use if copyrighted material.

2. The other, and the one which matters here, is what are the “rules” in this particular Jaguar forum. That is what governs what is okay.

You could always say “hey guys, I have some manuals. Contact me at Yada Yada Yada outside the jag-lovers site and I can probably send you some that would be useful.”

1 Like

And … if Jaguar replies with ‘sure, no problem as long as the information is exchanged free with no compensation’ … then we also definitively know that the rules of this forum have no issue with such use either as such permission would definitely put such use in line with:

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

And this in the Terms of Service:

• the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;

One intent of the forum is, I think, is for its users to be able help each other while being civil with each other and not breaking any laws in the exchange of information.

Keep in mind that retyping someone else’s information is also a copyright infringement (i,e,. retyping a part number or part number list is reproducing copyrighted material).

I’ll post what Jaguar says, and what admin says if the Jaguar response is not positive for providing their information here.

Not really much else can be said about this aspect until Jaguar responds yay or nay.

Hopefully, Jaguar’a response will not be ‘nay’.

I am hoping for the Nay, no problem, share the shit out of 25 year old manuals. It is not like Jaguar still sells or uses these

The manuals were licensed to a company called Original Technical Publications. Jaguar is still making dough off them after all these years.

1 Like

I went to their site and did a search for my Jaguar XJ-S H.E. Part No. RTC 9888CB March 1983 Parts Catalogue … (using the part number “RTC 9888CB” in their “Search by part number or brand” search space)

Search results returned:

"No Results Found

No results were found."

My Dad’s an IP attorney of some renown. Since I’ve got examples of the copyrights and such, I’ll show it to him and see what he says on how you can use it in relation to the forums. I also think there’s an age to copyrights - they do expire, but I’ll find out. Definitely wanna adhere to the site’s guidelines, but maybe I can get guidance on what some of the legal mumbo jumbo means…

I’d like being able to post snippets from the PC - that’s really useful stuff to help show how to do stuff and get the right terminology, but I stopped posting them because of said copyright concerns.

1 Like

Would be great to hear if what we do is fair use…

And at what point, how small/little to how big/much is okay.

Examples:

Small: snippet (less than half page) of a parts catalog drawing

Little: .025 gap (yep, that is from copyrighted material)

Big: full page scan of a parts catalog drawing

Much: long list of part numbers (also from copyrighted material)

Much appreciated.