XJ-S V12 Engine Cradle

I am pulling the dead V12 from the 1985 XJ-S I just bought. While I am dropping the spare SBC motor from my 1969 Corvette in it, I cannot bear to part with the original motor. As the V12 and SBC is an easy swap, will the standard SBC engine cradles work to store the old V12? Of course I would buy the heavy duty model from Summit, due to the weight of the jag motor.

I know that this is not the purist path (which is why I not throwing the V12 in a lake). I just want it to be easy to maintain while I’m still working. I promise to be more pure when I restore my wife’s 1953 XK120-M.

If you are referring to an engine stand, the V12 is 200# heavier and considerably longer- make sure it has long, widely spaced legs and is rated for at least 1000#. Plenty out there for diesels, just not something you will find at Harbor Freight.

Since I’m not going to rebuild anytime soon, I was referring to one of the low storage cradles. I don’t want to just toss it on the floor of my shop. So basically I guess my question is, do the engine mount bolts line up?

G’day Andrew,
I have a series 2 Coupe V12 on a Supercheap Australia Engine stand rated at 560kg, which works fine. I’m storing it on the stand until I get around to stripping it down for condition assessment. To ensure stability I also blocked up the Pulley end of the engine using some timber across the legs of the stand and a car stand to take the strain off the support strut. I also had to mess about with the bolts to the transmission flange to get the centre of the plate at the pivot of the engine (which is not the middle

of the crank shaft). Rotating the engine is not possible using the supplied handle and I had to get a 1 metre bar to achieve movement, not insurmountable just a point worth making.
I also enclose some pictures of a item I purchased on e-Bay which advertised itself as a 1000kg engine stand. I bent the backing plate as weight came onto the stand and the wheels at the support strut end are far too close together for any stability to be possible: movement around the workshop over any bump of seam in the concrete would tip the stand over, causing damage and a health risk. There is a very good video on U-Tube, of an American gentleman comparing engine stands which I found really good.
Cheers Chris

This is the most recent similar thread for my question.

I am nearing completion making an engine stand for my fully assembled with ancillary components still attached for when I pull the V12 so I can clean it and get to everything easier (fix oil leaks, etc).

My question is this: what is the distance between the engine mount bolt holes?

The main engine mount supports which are bolted around the cradle are movable on the cradle, but I would like to precut and drill the supports for the engine mount brackets.

I’m just starting on the rear support for the bellhousing flange, so I can make that support at that time, or … second question would be: what is the width of the bellhousing flange (so I can precut the supports for that end too)?

2 Likes

I found some dimensions for the TH-400, the bellhousing width is shown as 20", so I can make the preliminary rear support using that, leaving space for the piece I’ll need to make that bolts to the engine.

I still haven’t found a measurement between the front engine mounts for the 5.3 L V12.

I measure exactly 12.0" between the front engine mount holes of my '89 5.3L.

I measure 17-25/32" between the widest points of the bell housing. Just a smidge over 17.75". This is a diagonal measurement between the widest points.

Bob, thank you!

12" between engine mount holes, I will precut and drill that one with 3/4" holes to allow for minor adjustment.

17-3/4" width of bellhousing, I will precut supports for that which allows 1" each side (allowing for the final piece that I’ll make to fit bellhousing flange holes), which will bolt to my support.

Those measurements are exactly what I am looking for.

Bob, another question for you.

If I were to leave the metal engine mount brackets on the engine, what is the distance between the motor mount holes on the chassis?

Don’t know that one. Chassis not here now.
Bob s

Just thinking of another option, but knowing the 12" gives me one known option.

Thank you for the dimensions you were able to provide, I can work with those.

Updated photos of engine stand, finished and ready for engine. The bolts for the supports on each side frame can loosened and the supports slid along the side frames, then bolts retightened. This will allow adjusting tge working space at each end of the engine as needed.

Support for engine mount: (I will drill hole or make adapter as needed)

Support for bellhousing flange: (I will need to make an adapter to support vertical flange on horizontal support as needed)

1 Like

Forget the cradle, look at that shop :). We need a “show us your workshop” thread. I’ll start that now…

1 Like

My shop pales in comparison to many I’ve seen here. I still have a long way to go when the budget allows buying the next thing (maybe an English wheel?).