XJ12 coupé 1975 - relays specs

The difference may lie in the socket connections, Nioumane - while the relays themselves works the same way; in the diagrams the ‘30’ (power ‘in’) and ‘87’ (power out) seems physically swapped. Ie two different relays with different pin configuration?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yes it does look like a starter relay but according to the parts manual it’s like this one and has four contacts.
I’m no expert on the SII, others might have more knowledge on the subject.

Before going to the ‘ice cube’ style relays Jaguar used the Lucas ‘tin’ can style relays commonly used by many British and Italian cars (and others?) at the time.

At first glance they all look the same, like a starter relay. If you Google “Lucas 6RA” and “Lucas 25RA” (or 2RA or 7RA, or…or…) you’ll see they look about the same…but are not. Then within each basic designation you may find sub-variations. They are several sub-variations of the 6RA, for example. The sub-variations each carry their own Lucas part number (usually 33xxx). Jaguar, of course, assigned their own part numbers.

This may help:

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Indeed !
Thank you.

These tables are great.
Would you have the same for 25Ra series ?

I’m still trying to figure out what the pump relay should be… supposed to be a 25ra 33355a, but not confirmed.
The one for cold start is a 25ra 33353a

What I posted was simply the result of a little Googling. I’m sure there’s more out there to be found. I’m simply aware that various versions of the Lucas tin can relays exist. Beyond that I’m learning as I go here :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

Hello there DD,

I am looking for information on an old Lucas starter relay; 6 RA 33231F 12V 0472. May you have any documentation on that?

Sincerely,

Stef

Welcome on board, Stef…

What’s the problem with the old one - or are you looking for a replacement?

Frank

Yes, I am looking for a current one that can replace it.

Sincerely,

Stef

The main purpose of the starter relay is to connect brown (permanent power) to starter solenoid white/red, Stef. Any relay with a 15 to 35A rating will do that.

However, depending on car model and market level, the relay had other functions - and was fitted with an extra spade connector for a wide use. So what is the set-up on the relay fitted? Most shop will have a conversion chart for equivalents if the OEM is not available, but my knowledge on the 75 V12 is limited…:slight_smile:

Frank