XJ12 Starter Substitute

I have finally committed to remove my front suspension to replace oil pan gaskets on my XJ12. I will be changing out the starter at this time, as it only seems reasonable. The parts manual show a JLM9712 (DAC3269) starter. I am having a very difficult time finding a substitute Lucas starter. Any thoughts on a replacement?

Tom,
Have you considered getting your starter rebuilt? We have a few small Mom and Pop shops here in South Carolina that rebuild starters. I recently dropped off a starter for my 1969 E-Type at one of those shops and it should be ready to pick up next week.

Paul

2 Likes

Thought about that Paul, I live in a smallish town on Vancouver Island and the last time I took a 1970 Volvo starter to them, it cost me twice the price of a factory rebuild. I could try again, but this time ask for an estimate.

FWIW, I’m with Paul on having your starter rebuilt locally. I started doing this years ago after poor luck with off-the-shelf replacements. Alternators as well. Worth the money IMO.

As for a replacement starter I presume you contacted the usual Jag vendors?

Some guys go with a modern gear reduction replacement. I think all the usuals have those on hand.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Tom,
Yes, it is best to know who you are dealing with and get an estimate of the repair first. Sometimes the shop may not know exactly what parts need replacing until they do some disassembly. In my case the repair shop is a well known and respected local shop that knows Lucas starters and they provided me with an estimate of $153.70.

Paul

1 Like

Tom,

if you’ve still got the original starter fitted, I’m always sure you’ll get overhaul kits supplied by Lucas and, equipped with one of those it’ll be a walk in the park for a qualified shop to recondition the original starter and keep it alive for the next 40 years.

If my catalogue is correct, 12 cylinder cars should have had either

• the Lucas M45G starter with solenoid - Lucas # 26381

• or the Lucas starter with permanent magnet - Lucas # S2802.

For both I quickly found brush kits etc. for reasonable prices. So a simple rebuild - dismantling, cleaning up old grease, replacing wear-and-tear parts, regreasing - comes reasonably easy. The question is whether the cogwheel is still intact as this part alone seems to run at almost 400 EUR. Only pulling the starter will tell you …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Agree.

I have not done it for over a decade.
But, I began to do that early on.
Clean up, New brushes, Bearing and bushing. Polixh and undercut the armature abnd mot resoubded well,

I have used delco old tech starters and GR of Asian origin in my lump,

I like the GR units. And so much lighter. Makes them easy to install,

Way back when, I was inside a commercial builder. Ugh, what a mess. Kinda like the old sausage adage. If one likes sauasag, never watch them buing made!

Oh, Bockwurst and bratwurst are in my fridge. YUM,

Carl

3 Likes

Yes Thanks Doug I am now looking into the gear reduction model

Terrific, thanks for the part numbers!

Rebuild the one that you know fits, it’s been reliable for d e c a d e s.
If worn beyond repair get a used one, have a look inside and if all is well, use that.

Good point. Thanks

Tom!
I have a good starter from Jaguar 11000 12V USA, 1X4U AA,
1L30D.
I replaced only the relay on mine years ago.
It would only need a good relay.
FREE, to you, if you can use it.
Walter
USA

For the reasons i explained here R.I.P Lucas starter (V12)i i have replaced my e-tyoe S3 starter by a new high torque unit and i have no regrets .

A full rebuilt unit would cost the double .

I kept the old (short circuited ) unit for historic purposes.

I have a spare high torque starter if anyone would be interested , I think.it is the model with 9 tooth pinion .

Rui