XJ40 Gear selector information

Hi All,
I am using an XJ40 selector in a project and I know Diddly Squat about how it works electrically. The collection of cables in the photo are for illuminating gear position I guess? Or are they switches? Does anyone have a circuit diagram. I would like to make it work, so I need enlightening (no pun intended). Thanks for any help.
Paul

Hi: illumination AND start inhibit.

They are indeed switches …

Hi Larry, I’m well out my depth with the logic side of electronics, I was hoping for some switches in the Gear Position Indicator Module, the circuit diagram shows just LED, no switches. My gearbox also has no electronic control, although I will be replacing it with an ZF4HP22EH later.

The circuit diagram for the 1991my is different to my GPI module, it has a 1991 sticker on it. If I could find a circuit diagram that was the same as mine it would help.
Paul

Paul …

What is the project you’re using the XJ40 gear selector assembly for ?

If it’s something other than replacing it in an XJ40 then it’s just a matter of taking a multi meter and figuring out what readings you’re getting on each wire in each gear position.

The ZF4hp22 transmission is completely mechanical/hydraulic, no electrics involved. Also my understanding is that the ZF4hp22EH is the same transmission modified for 4 wheel drive.

So what do the wires do … illumination of course, audio warning, start inhibit, gear position display on dash, reverse signal, are among the functions that come to mind.

2 Likes

In principle that connector is for the lights and inhibitor. That 22 gearbox is operated by a mechanical cable linkage, and 8ndeed (edit) position in the dashboard.

Thank you for your replies, all appreciated.
The gearbox is going into a Triumph, so none of the Jag electronics will be used. I was hoping that I could use the GPI module to send gear position to the ECU that I will be using. Since then I’ve learnt that I should have had a rotary switch on the gearbox. I can’t retrofit one as it wouldn’t fit within the existing chassis, I can get over that tho. I will at least use the illumination side of the module hopefully.
The 22/24EH was used in Landrovers, but also in BMW’s too.
Paul…

Mike pointed me to the JagRepair .com. The circuit diagrams are really useful.
Jaguar XJ40 1989my GPI Module
Paul