move just fine but I had a difficult time accessing the
upper air door and it’s motor. Today I finally pulled out
the glove box and was able to access the upper air door
motor. After removing the motor, I reached in there with a
flat blade screw driver and attempted to rotate the air door
by hand. Unfortunately it seems to be stuck. It moves a very
small amount. Perhaps only 15 - 20 degrees of rotation total
and it is very hard to get it to move that much in
comparison to how easily the lower door rotates.

What can cause this and how do I fix it? I am not at all
enthusiastic about having to tear the whole dash assembly
out in order to get to the climate control system box.

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.–
Steven A. DuChene - XJ6VDP XJ6C XJ12C XK120SE 3.8S E-Types
Phoenix, AZ Atlanta GA, NE Oh, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

In reply to a message from StevenD57 sent Sun 18 Jan 2015:

It sounds like you’ll have to take the entire dash off to
gain proper access. But it’s not all that bad of a job.
And you can fix or remove the center vent damper while
you’re at it. I have the same sort of issue with my 89. I
think the PO made some modifications (he bragged about how
well the A?C worked) and disabled the heat function.–
The original message included these comments:

So I have been working on trying to figure out why my 1994
XJ6 has no heat. I was able to get the lower air door to
comparison to how easily the lower door rotates.

Pete Peterson 70E(193K) XJ40s(88-270K,89-97K, 94-122K)
Severna Park, Maryland, United States
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

In reply to a message from StevenD57 sent Sun 18 Jan 2015:

Steven,

The last time I heard of a similar problem, the reason for
the restricted movement of the upper blend flap was that a
piece of the demist/defrost vent had broken off and fallen
in to the blend flap aperture effectively jamming it.

No solution other than to remove the dash and then the CCU
to repair / replace (although they are NLA from Jaguar) the
demist/defrost vent flap. I have the details of that
incident with IIRC some photographs on my home computer but
I am currently abroad until next week so I cannot forward
them to you yet.–

So I have been working on trying to figure out why my 1994
XJ6 has no heat. I was able to get the lower air door to

Bryan N, now Jag-less, but fun while it lasted.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

In reply to a message from Bryan N sent Sun 18 Jan 2015:

Bryan and Pete:
Thanks for the replies. Are there any available directions
on how to remove the dash and climate control unit?–
Steve

Steven A. DuChene - XJ6VDP XJ6C XJ12C XK120SE 3.8S E-Types
Phoenix, AZ Atlanta GA, NE Oh, United States

In reply to a message from StevenD57 sent Wed 21 Jan 2015:

Steve,

I have such directions for dash and CCU removal on my home
computer. I will be back home in the UK on Sunday so I will
PM them to you (if jet-lag doesn’t dull the memory!)–

on how to remove the dash and climate control unit?

In reply to a message from Bryan N sent Wed 21 Jan 2015:

Steve,
When I took out the heat/ac unit in my car I noticed how one of the
center housing panels had warped.And if that panel warps enough it
could bind up the movement of the blend door.There are pictures of
the unit dissasembled in the photo album to give you an idea of the
panel that is bent.That may be part of your problem.Taking out the
dash sounds like an ugly project but actually it was not that
bad.All the wire plugs are unique to each harness so they only fit
one specific harness.Just take lots of reference pics so you have a
visual of each section as you disconnect wires and vacuum hoses.I
think there are pics in the photo album of the dash dissassembled
also. Cary–

94 XJ6
kingsville/ohio, United States

In reply to a message from Bryan N sent Wed 21 Jan 2015:

Steve,

Details sent via PM today.

Let me know if well received.–

In reply to a message from StevenD57 sent Wed 21 Jan 2015:
Steve,
I have such directions for dash and CCU removal on my home
computer. I will be back home in the UK on Sunday so I will
PM them to you (if jet-lag doesn’t dull the memory!)

Bryan:
After almost five years I have finally taken your advice and pulled the dash out of my car.
I guess I could say that it took me this long to read all the way through your directions. :slight_smile:
I just hope now that I have the dash out that I can figure out how to repair the broken defrost door flaps and can remember where all of the bolts and screws go when I go to put the dash back int the car permanently.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far.

Steve

dear Bryan ,I read your posts with stevend57 that you have instructions how to remove the dash of a xj40 .I was wondering if you can send them to me because i have a major a.c/unit control problem .I would really appreciate it.I am Walter from the Netherlands so my english isn,t that great.Hope you can help me thanx

Walter,
Unfortunately I no longer have that information on my computer - perhaps stevenD57 is still around and can copy them to you.

Bryan my good friend …

Happy to see you posting. We all miss your wisdom.

2 Likes

You might want to have a read of this, a hack that will get you heat/ac again without removing the dash …

thanx i shall try to message him.

thanx larry i have the same problem as rolling restoration.my upper blend door is jammed or stuck. .and also there is no reaction with the blend doors when turning the temp knob .hot. or cold.the lower blend motor works but only turning one direction and the upper blend motor is hard to reach. now i have make a 5volt battery that i going to connect with the plug of the upperblend motor but reverse connection so it will turn anti clockwise.hope the blend door turns so hot air is comming through. but it do not solve my problem why my a.c/ unit do not works the way it should be.

Walter …

You said “it do not solve my problem why my a.c/ unit do not works the way it should be.”

Are we still talking about the blend doors or the overall operation of the system ?

most of the climate control work.only the blend doors do not work and when turning the temp.knob there is no reaction…also the far right and left flap actuator haven’t i seen working when turning or pushing knobs on my climate control panel.the lower blend door motor have i removed from the box and it turns only one direction the whole time.is this maybe the ecu get the wrong feedback from the potentiometers? The upper blend door motor do not work maybe due to the door is jammed .I think i have first to fix my blend doors and then i can see if the rest works properly .

As you’ve removed the motor from the lower blend door, you should be able move the door manually using a screwdriver in the slot …if the door is able to move then there’s no issue with it mechanically, it’s ok. When refitting motors to these doors you don’t have to concern yourself with the positions as the climate control unit will reset them automatically.

The upper blend door controls the climate control output to the screen and face vents while the lower heats/cools the footwell and rear seat vent.

If your upper blend door is jammed by a broken demist flap (VERY common problem) you will get no warm air flow to the screen or face vents. The repair is to remove dash and fix demist flap. Not a very difficult job but there are a few hidden fasteners at either end of the dash, screws are hidden under the rubber unions that send the air flow to the door vents. There are also a couple of nylon butterfly nuts that secure the ski slope in place hidden under the ashtray area. Other than those, the rest of the nuts and bolts are fairly obvious.

As I mentioned earlier, if you want to get a temporary but somewhat effective solution without removing the entire dashboard, you can remove the wooden trim at the centre vent; it just clips in place and allows you to remove the plastic vents.
With those pieces removed, you can see the vacuum flap behind. Push the flap open and hold it open with a wedge of some sort. Using a bright light, look into the aperture. You will more than likely see the broken demist flap sticking up at one end of the upper blend door. With the aid of a long needle-nose pliers it’s possible to maneuver and remove the flap up and out of the centre vent, thereby un-jamming the upper blend door.
The vacuum door has a couple of thin plastic uprights that may obstruct the flap from being withdrawn, but you can safely cut one away and re-attach it later if you feel it is necessary. I didn’t bother.

I did indeed move the lower blend with the screwdriver. I think I have a broken demister flap. Now I will follow your advice and solve the problem via the center vents. If this does not work I want to remove the dashboard. But from experience I know that this will take a long time because there are indeed all hidden bolts and screws. Like you desribe … the 2 plastic fasteners at the ashtray.If you don’t know these kinds of hidden screws or bolts, you’re looking for the crap out of yourself.The best thing would be a description of how to remove the dashboard. But I haven’t been able to find that yet.my xj40 is a real average jaguar . my headlining is loose. i have faulty climate control.water leakage at the driver side foot.etc.i have all the common problems exactly.but my car still looks very nice.so i can’t bear to sell it. i have him already for 10 years.Most of the cars I’ve owned I’ve owned for at least 2 years.so somehow the car stole my heart

On second thoughts I believe the hidden screws at the doors are part of the front door panel disassembly …it’s been a while since I had to remove the door panels or the dash (touches wood rapidly LOL)

dear larry today i removed the center vents and i indeed saw that my demister flap was loose .but i didn’t manage to remove it .i’m going to take out my dashboard also because about where the upper potentiometer is there is water getting in somewhere The inside of the rubber insulation material is wet from the accelerator pedal to somewhere above it. I’ve already looked in the space under the grille outside, but I don’t see any rust or anything.