XJ40 suddenly not starting

Installed stater. Compression checked. All good. Ring gear checked. No damage. Cranked engine. No spark. Tested coil. Fault. Replaced. Tries to start but could not fire up. Next , drain fuel tank and replace filters and check fuel pressure. Getting close.

Did your rev counter move when you cranked it?

Sorry but I did not check the tach while cranking. I used a spark tester to diagnose. I then bench tested the coil. I had a spare coil ang after installing and cranking 5he tester showed a spark. On to the fuel system.

I noticed that no one mentioned the cps?

Implied here, but possibly not understood?

1 Like

Yep. plus xtra characters

Assuming the spark tester indicated sparkage the CPS question becomes moot, doesn’t it?

I will take more care when I post.
Typing too quickly .

check your tach, outside tester might not pick up problems with the ecu.

My comment was not a reflection on your typing ability, the forum requires a minimum number of characters for each post …I was simply adding the reqd number!

Ok. I understand now. I did notice the warning about minimum characters. Thanks for the note.

Drained fuel tank. Lots of rust. Removed pump, filter, fuel rail and injectors. Flow tested injectors and was told spray pattern awful. Not salvageable. I got a set of new injectors with the car. The original Bosch ones are not available new. The numbers on the ones I got with the car match with ones being sold on eBay for my car so I will install them. I am not yet convinced that they are an exact match for the Bosch ones.

Will clean the fuel rail and I have already blown air though all the fuel lines with everything removed. I will see what I can do about another fuel tank. I understand there are plastic ones available. Will research them later.

It lives. Car started today. Idling issues on startup but I will diagnose tommorow.
Question? Is there a “Restoration” area on this forum where I can chronicle my work on the XJ6 or do I continue on in this post now that I have the car running?

You can modify the heading using the pen icon to reflect that the original problem has been resolved and that you are progressing to restoration.

Thanks. I will give it a go.