XJ40 suddenly not starting

Guerpillon - if the new rotor doesn’t fix the problem try a new ignition relay.

The entire thread is VERY long (lots of good info there) but the end result was after much trouble-shooting and parts-swapping JagMan’s issue was a faulty relay.

Yes, also ordered, ignition amplifier, in the end i will have replaced all ignition parts, let apart the engine ECU, fortunately i have got one spare, so i should in the end solve my problem, hopefully. If not, what else ?

So, with a new rotor, i have now spark, tested on a spare spark plug. But stil not starting, i think spark plugs got wet after this absence of spark, will change these. Apart that, other ideas ? Ignition amplifier ? ECU ? Thanks to all.

You may have bore wash from the attempts to start the engine.
Try a small amount of oil into each cylinder while you replace the plugs, this will provide a temporary seal around the rings to regain compression.

1 Like

Thank you, will do. Regards

As she recently passed the 300.000 kms mark, perhaps compression got weak following this incident. This could explain that. Thanks again.

Ok you’ve got spark, hopefully nice blue spark.

If you have air supply, (no mouse nest in the intake etc) then that leaves fuel starvation or cold start enrichment.

The coolant temperature sensor is responsible for enriching the cold start fuel delivery. They fail sometimes. Fortunately, they’re the price of a fancy coffee at Starbucks so maybe pick one up?

You will have to check that you are getting fuel though, there are several posts in the archive describing ways to test this. There are a couple of relays on my 94MY car, one on the firewall, (the oxygen sensor heater relay) and the fuel pump relay in the trunk. If either of these fail, the pump won’t run.
Of course the fuel pump can fail too; you should be able to hear it spin up when you first turn on the ignition.

I recently got a 1988 XJ40 with a different Ignition amplifier than all the one I found online. Consequently can someone tell me what the part number is or a replacent is?

You can check part numbers based on the VIN of you car here:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/hierarchy/id/C01/brand/jaguar/

Also, these units rarely fail - it’s often some other problem. Not impossible that they crap out, but I don’t think I’ve ever read of one going … however lots of times they get replaced …

Thanks for the info. I just got the car Friday and I need to fix the starter before I can diagnose the “no start” issue. So I am just getting some info in case it is a spark issue.
Looking forward to the challenge tapping into the wealth of knowledge from forum members like yourself.
Michael.

Welcome aboard. You might want to add to your info your location and the car you are dealing with. Always helpful when responding to posts.

Also forgot to mention that it was after the previous owner washed the engine bay that it refused to start up. That is why I suspect ignition issues. That was 12 years ago. Still won’t start.

Ok. Could not crank my Jag over to diagnose the “no start” issue.
Mistake 1- tried to undo the top starter bolt from the top with a ring spanner with an extension bar joined to it.
Mistake 2- used a 13mm spanner. English car not Japanese.
Mistake 3 - tried to reach the bolt from the top of the transmission with extension bars and 13mm socket and a rattle gun.
An assistant guided the socket while I was under the car.
Mistake 4 - head rounded.
Finally I tilted the transmission, got a rounded bolt remover. Bashed it on the rounded bolt head and rattle gun and bingo. Bolt removed.

Lessons learned. After having worked on mainly Japanese cars (metric) Jaguars are Imperial.

Don’t try shortcuts. The tranny tilt is really easy after all.

Now for a new starter motor and on to diagnosing the “No Start” issue.

FYI any starter motor from the XJ40 range will fit, from the 2.9 to the 4.0

Most, if not all are metric on an XJ40 or so I thought.

1 Like

Yes Larry is correct. With the exception of a few fasteners on components reused from earlier years (crank bolt. Crank pulley e.g) I would say 99.9% of the fastemers on an XJ40 are metric.

Got Starter off. Having trouble finding a refurbished one in Australia. i need to make sure it will fit my XJ40 so not willing to buy from overseas unless sure of compatability.
Any one in Australia recently bought a refurbished Bosch starter? In my reseach I found the bosch part number may be SR491X . Can anyone confirm this? Also the two bolts on my Starter were 1/2" but as i read the posts on this forum many have said they used a 13mm socket,
Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to get another used Starter motor.

Just found a Brand new Starter with identical part number for $260 from England. Just bought it. I just need to check if the ring gear teeth on the flywheel are damaged. If they are i will have to pull the trans out. Here’s hoping.

Try JagDaim in Melbourne. That’s where I get all my parts.

Thanks for that. I will keep them in mind for the future.