Xj6 1973 s1 dumping fuel onto the ground & wont start or run

So it was leaking from this skinny hose that runs from the airbox/Carburetor to the charcoal canister.

Well i believe i found my issue! Lol ive never touched a carburetor before but i guess now i have to learn how to rebuild 2 of them. lol i was wondering why my airbox smelled like gas.

Frankquote=“stevoe513, post:23, topic:444537, full:true”]
Well i believe i found my issue! Lol ive never touched a carburetor before but i guess now i have to learn how to rebuild 2 of them.
[/quote]

Indeed, Steven - but the canister is not necessary for running the engine. only for passing emission checks. Disconnect the canister hose at the engine - but you may leave the ‘tank’ hoses connected at the canister - they are essential for tank venting.

This will remove a distraction and you can concentrate on actual carb issues - to get the engine running. When sorted you can assess the canister/tank venting at later leisure. Which ios what we should have advised initially…:slight_smile:

The carbs may only need new needle valves, and or float level adjustments to get the engine running - a full overhaul may be beneficial, but not necessarily vital…:slight_smile:

1 Like

As advised by Frank Andresen, buy a rebuild kit and rebuild them.

SU carburettors are simplicity itself, but do have a habit of leaking fuel from the the seals between the jet and float bowl.

1 Like

Thanks again everyone. Which would you guys say is better to shop on Moss motors or SNG?

…Whatever, Steven, but I still advise you to acquires some familiarity with the carbs and car - a workshop manual is on the cards. The present issue may not be the only one you will encounter.

Buying without some clues may be an expensive course - and we are here…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It depends where you are. As much as I would like to buy more ex the USA, the postage is usually prohibitive. For me the UK is better. You might be better off in the the USA - having both Moss and SNG onshore.
For noting: you have Zenith Stromberg carbs, which are similar to SU’s, and provided to your market and not mine (for emissions reasons, I expect). As David says get a workshop manual and a parts book. Both available as e books for not much money. Perhaps try isolating one pump and one tank and work with that to start with? Best of luck.
PS. A few of us have Series 1 cars. They are an absolute delight when running well! Paul.

1 Like

Amazon also has a reprint which I like to keep around, it can get dirty and doesn’t run out of battery or turn off on you. The Strombergs are similar in operation but have some emissions add-ons. Keep them separate, dismantle one at a time, walk away when frustrated, all very simple. SU are the same principle and very logical. Make sure the needle is centered and the piston falls smoothly. Again, do not mix&match and take pictures of the process.

1 Like

So happy im rebuilding these. I knew the 2nd one was going to be worse but jesus christ!

3 Likes

On the seconed one im already running into a problem. The float bracket has snapped. Anyone know where i can find a new one?

At worst you can fabricate a new one, Steven…

Never seen carbs in that state, but it explains all of your symptoms! Keep a pictorial record while you dismantle and clean up the mess, of course…

There are some observable damage - and more may be evident during the clean-up process. You may start looking around for a replacement carb as well…?

Frank

2 Likes

Yea it almost has me wanting to dig deeper down the white rabbit hole. To see how far that nasty stuff got. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I don’t want to have to rebuild the engine but if I have to it’ll be after I move.

Perhaps drain the tanks and put a boroscope down into the filler and see what you have there? I expect you know that there are drain plugs at the bottom - there’s a through hole on the mudguard.

1 Like

Ehhh lol I’m just replacing both tanks. Thank you though

1 Like

There is no indication that your carb problem is a result of engine state - or vice versa…

The best course of action then is to run a compression test, Steven - if OK the engine likely is too…

Frank

1 Like

Oh dear! You don’t know what expensive really is! We pay the equivalent of $8.40 per US gallon!

Lol ok that’s bad, but still I’m not wasting money

Ok so news update with the Jag. I got it to stop dumping fuel to the ground when i rebuilt both carbs. Now its getting all clean fuel. I also replaced & gapped the ignition points and coil. So it started and ran for 1 minute and then shut off with a fire underneath the left side of the engine bay. Im pleased to have the thing running but now i have to find out why the fire happened. I believe its because the metal radiator fan hits the ac compressor which causes a spark. Also there was previously fuel leaking onto the dead leaves underneath.

Sorry, but a spark does not cause a fire, unless there is a combustible … fuel springs to mind, as it ignites easier than oil residues. So you better double check your fuel lines … maybe you better go outside and keep an extinguisher handy;-)

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)