XJ6 master cylinder brake pipe positions

I’ve replaced my mk10 obsolete master cylinder and booster with a late XJ unit, and now that I’m plumbing the brake pipes, I’m confused as to which is the front and which is the rear outlet. I thought that when I looked at the original pipes, the forward port was for the front, but I might have been confused by the pressure differential warning device, which I am not using. On reviewing the original parts diagram for the Mk10, I see that the it was the opposite, the rear port on the original going to the front. Can someone please sort me out as to the correct plumbing for the S3 XJ? thanks

Nominally, Ron; the plumbing should be to original specs for the car (mk10) - changing the master cylinder does alter the original set-up…

Theoretically; as the rear master cylinder piston is mechanically operated and the front on slaved to it by pressure - rear brakes should be applied first…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The forward port is for the front.

I agree with your theory, but the original mc on the mk10 is not plumbed that way.

Thank you. That’s the way I thought from looking at the original piping to the pressure warning device, which was already off the car and which I no longer have access to. I wonder why it was changed from the original configuration?

It’s not only God that moves in mysterious ways, Ron…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)