XJ6 s1 2.8 1969 lhd

Considered that, but no, the coil can’t be moved up, it would foul the relay…

I was thinking that the coil was moved from its original position on the engine, David - to a position previously occupied by ‘something’ needing two bolts…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I already looked at other cars, Frank, it is in the right spot exactly like Christians is, and he also has a bolt hole, but no bolt and more importantly, no scratches. The scratches interest me.

The coil was never positioned on the engine on the XJ6 S1 as far as I have been able to figure out.
I’m equally curious as to what is correct here and what the ‘extra’ mounting point is for?
The relay is fastened with self tapping screws, yes?
Coil with bolts.
There are three holes, in line, on top of each other.
The one on top on my S1 seems unused/untouched.
Perhaps Jaguar had something planned and changed it when in production?
Do the S2 and S3 have the same mounting holes?

Exactly.
Yes, I would use sheet metal screws. I can have a look at the other side tomorrow and see what that looks like from the wheel well.
Something planned and not used sounds exactly like jaguar, but then again I have the scratches while yours is untouched. I will keep an eye out for info on that. Maybe the hole was used in the factory and yours has been repainted more (since your serial number is no longer black)…

The S3 has other things down there, the resistor for the injectors and the horn relay, and the body likely different. It’s not been the same shape all these years (one change so the V12 fits better, likely added holes, etc.)

Isn’t the 4,2 expansion tank fitted there, or the other side? Strangely I forget.

Early cars, left side just behind the radiator and upright. So the other side. Later on its side with a long neck.
2.8s with the tank above the radiator of course.

Spare keys or an earlier style planned ballast for the coil?

Ahh then ! what about the winscreen washer bottle ?

In my case in a bracket on the battery tray. But a second type looks like this:

Difference L /H and R / H drive perhaps ?

No the 1st type has two different part numbers for the hose, LHD/RHD are /1 and /2 while the second type bottle is /9… (feet?)
Good guess though. Maybe not above the coil, and no support further up, but I wonder where the second type sits. Maybe where the early overflow tank was moved from, just like my Series 3 is.
No: ahead and below the battery is where the 2nd goes.

But there’s one example on google with the tank in the front left corner. Never in the right.

Probably mistaken, but my recollection is that one type had / has the water container located at the right corner, the retaining cage is fixed with 3 screws accessed through holes in the outer part of the cage, the diagram orientation though indicates. a left side fixing.

Does the example on Google show the windscreen washer container positioned above the expansion tank ? the early upright expansion tank of course would not allow this, hence my recollection of the R / H fixing.

Maybe RHD cars were like that and are just not showing up on google, or they just considered placing it there and didn’t. But only with two bolts or a spacer maybe, and the upper holes were never made.

Yes there is two cars so far with the bottle above the tank. If not there it’s always in front of the battery or brake booster.

The battery or booster mounted container is a different shape of course and is held in a wedge shaped holder if I recall correctly.

Yes something like that. To the inside on LHD and to the front of the battery on RHD. Mine’s still in a box so it doesn’t get damaged… square container, grey cap, trico sticker. Should be a wedge.

Here’s my inner wheelarch.

I‘m sorry, I forgot to take pictures. But it does seem like there was something else planned.

My 69 built RHD 2.8 has bottle on battery arrangement plus same unoccupied bolt hole (no scratches :flushed:)