XJ6 S3 Steering Wheel Locks While Turning

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I noticed my steering wheel getting stuck, but only in 1 certain position. When turning right, the steering wheel gets stuck and you have to keep turning it hard to get it out of being stuck. Then, when you turn back the other way, it gets stuck in the same exact spot.
I checked my power steering fluid and it was low so I filled it up again. That didn’t fix the problem. The belts don’t look damaged, but I haven’t changed them yet. Does anyone know what could be the issue? It started 3 days after changing my front two tyres, but I don’t think that could be the issue.

Thanks
Eddie

Is the belt tight? A loose belt can give a slip-stick condition…which could feel like ‘locked’ steering when the assist momentarily disappears.

Might want to check the u-joints on the steering column shaft. I’m hearing more reports of them being worn…mine are. It worn too far they might be binding-up.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

Jack up the front, Eddie - and see if if it binds the same way with and without the engine running…

Jacked up, it may be easier to find the bind - which might be mechanical, as Doug says. I presume this happens with car moving - or is it a stationary thing?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Does it do it every turn or in just one position?

If it’s just one position I would disconnect the track rod ends and try again, if it persists something is in the rack.

If it’s every time disregarding road wheel position u joints are very likely.

1 Like

This kinda thing is usually due to the U-joint in the steering column just above the rack getting jammed. Sometimes you can loosen the mounts for the steering column, pull up on it a bit, and tighten them back down and the sticking goes away.

2 Likes

Really, that works? The joints begin to bind in one position? The column inside the car I assume, the one on the rack is “keyed” by a pass-by bolt.

1 Like

I once had that happen on a Mk2. Steering jammed solid on LH down when driving into town on a RH bend towards on coming traffic - scary; happened just after I had done some work in the engine bay. A 1/2" AF socket had lodged in the steering column bottom UJ.

Ever since I have always checked every tool off before a test drive.

Frankie

1 Like

Ediberto,

as Frankie says: any problem in the steering is to be taken very seriously. I wouldn’t take the car into public traffic until this issue is solved. Minor cases of binding may result from worn racks. As you describe it it is a recent phenomenon that hasn’t evolved over time. So I’d rule out the rack. Ideally, take the car on a lift, have another person move the steering wheel telling exactly what they feel (well, about the steering, of course) and check whether you can spot or feel with your hand corresponding jerks in the steering.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like