Xj6 series 1 front wheels to close to back of guard

I have just discovered a crazy problem with my series 1 xj. The front wheels and the driver’s side in particular is very close the the rear of the guard. I only noticed this as the inside of the tyre seems to be scrapping on the wheel well.
A fellow club member has the same vehicle and his wheels are at least 10 mm further forward than mine. Is this something that can be adjusted or is my newly acquired car a dud?

Wheel base is not ‘adjustable’, John-Henry…

Instant questions arising; are oversized wheels tyres fitted? And have you checked whether the problem is wheel arch linings? Have you checked front ride height…?

Beyond that; it would be very unusual for the suspension parts to deform - it takes some force, like a crash…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Collapsed ‘A’ arm bushes? Or as Frank suggested accident damage.

you can measure distance between front & rear tyres, and hub centre to wheel arch to establish any difference one side to the other.

The next thing would be to remove the wheel and do a visual inspection, as the relevant suspension parts are readily visible

I have the same problem; never figured out what’s wrong. Left front; tyre just rubs at the rear on full turns when I back out of the driveway. I can’t remember if this was true for my first Series 1.

My car sits high in the front–maybe that’s connected to the problem.

I have seen people run into a curb or something like that and it resulted in a BENT front lower control arm fulcrum pin (bolt).

The pin/bolt will need to be CUT to remove from the subframe if it is bent/damaged.

bob

Hi - You didn’t mention your tires size and if there is any wear in the front end or where it’s scraping but it is not unusual for someone to adjust toe without centering the rack properly first. This can cause an issue depending on how far off it is. When I recently checked the 72 I’m working on the rack was off by 90 degrees of steering wheel rotation.

Also the PO of my car installed ridiculously large tires on the front end - 225/70/15. The left one rubbed but the right one didn’t. These cars were basically hand built out of so many pieces - maybe a jig was off somewhere causing the left side to be slightly off when assembled…

~Mike

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ve booked in for a suspension check for this Friday. I will keep everyone posted. It sounds like it could be an alignment issue more than a tyre size issue. Anyway, I will let you all know .

JH

My tyres are not that big. They seem standard. I’m very much hoping an aligment issue only. I will see of Friday .

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for you questions and input. Unfortunately, ot seems that I have a number of issues with the old girl.
Number one is that it seems that it has been in a smash at sometime in the previous five decades, so I need to find somewhere that can straighten the chassis/frame. The second part, less annoyong but still a cost is that I need a new steering rack and four new tyres as the car basically sat for ten yes in a garage. No point in doing an alignment until I fix these issues.
The steeering has been a bit sloppy and has a very slight shudder at speed (130-150kph) but it’s an old car.
I guess I’lll just chip away at these things and update as I go along. I did think for a few moments about abandoning it!! BUT we are Jaguar owners. ACTA NON VERBA.

Although my car is an S3, I happened to think of this thread while sitting a spell in my drive. Jaguar and coco close by!

Indeed, the space between the "guard’ and the left front wheel of my LHD car is close. Because of a lucky combination, my car although a bit lighter up front sits at spec heighth. And wears 215 70 15’s. They fill the opening just right. by dimension and visual. No detectable rub.

Side bar: 225 aint much different than 215 in my view?

Indeed, a modern collsion shop does have a device to pull a car into alignment. very precise. But, alas, the spec’s to work toward that can be down loaded do not exist!!

Aye, compare the wheel base, left to right. Tllsa lot…

And, I recall Roger Mabry finding as specialty shop[ that had the jig to measure the lower control arm of his IRS and found it bent!!!
Solved an issue for him. Rear not front, but similar issue.

Decades back, in a full service station, my boss added a frame machine to align cars. The tools that came with it included devices to abend suspension parts to align them.

I bought a 40 Ford pickup. It had many issues, no engine or transmission! I fixed that. Mercury power!! Lousy brakes. leaked fluid in every possible place. Bit by bit, I fixed that. A roughly “straightened” front fender! No brakes the likely cause while in the hands of the infamous PO. I found another. While messing with the fronmt brakes I noted the axle on the bad side was bent!! part of the fender episode ???

I amazed myself. A chain and a bottle jack brought it back. . I just pulled and measured til it matched the opposite sides wheel base!!!

Carl

‘Old car’ makes no difference, Soscume - something is amiss…

The first step is to find someone to measure the frame - to see how much it is out of line. Straightening chassis may be impossible, Jaguar made’m stiff - any sign of deformities?

A crude indication is the gap between doors and body - and indeed of the hood. Gaps should be even all around - which is of course still possible if the chassis is bent as a parallelogram…

A bit more difficult is to measures diagonals under the car; they should of course be equal. A proper alignment check involves datum points listed in the workshop manual - and the proper tools and procedure…

The shudder may be tyre imbalance…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

If the car has been in a smash, signs of damage should be checked where the front suspension unit mounts to the unibody

re the tyres, ones that have sat for a few years always need replacement, I have a deal with my tyre guy, fitting good used ones on my project vehicles, until the car justify expensive new ones

1 Like

Doesn’t even need to be crunched. These wear out and crack between the holes.

Captain Obvious here!
Driving with cracked IFS bushes is seriously dangerous. A buddy of mine told me about his friend who’d been driving down the motorway on unbenonced to him, torn / worn IFS bushes, hit a pot hole which was just enough to loosen things up and the IFS bush let go and spun his ass into the concrete center divider. Bad day for him, Worse day for the Series I XJ12

Hello Everyone,

A quick update. I did all of the basic things.
1 - I had new tyres put on, I also took the size down from 205/70/15 to 205/65/15
This has made the ride a little firmer, more positive.

2 - I had a wheel alignment done. It turns out things were WAY out.
It drives like a new car now. The steering is much lighter and there is no movement. It stays straight and true. Just amazing.

3 - As for the rubbing on the wheel arch, going down a tyre size seems to have fixed this issue.

Thank you again everyone for your ongoing advice. Your comments and observations have given me plenty to think about .