XJ6 Series III made in New Zealand?

Neat find. wherever that car was built or assembled, it has wandered far!! Cats tend to do that.

if the body is not badly rusted, most other ills can be effectively fixed.

As to the engine, if it will turn over, that is a huge advantage. It can be revived. Check You Tube. many tales of starting engines that have not run in decades… Even a few that seemed “stuck”. Good tips as to prelube and building of oil pressure before ignition.

Alas, fuel tanks, especialy in humid environment can rust inside, badly. Or if fuel was left, it can become a mess. Same for the carb bowls. …

Rust, paint, and interior = the “big ticket” fix items… Value accordingly…

A rust bucket with upholstery and mechanical ills is a parts car at best. More like a scrpa car…

But, there are some that fix 'em all!! See the You tube guys, amazing…

Carl

1 Like

Gawd I didn’t think about the gasoline! Fuel tanks, Jeez this could be a sticky nightmare! They damn well better had drained it well.before storing for any period. I will ask even before I go see it in case I decide to pass on the car.

Got the advice I needed on the engine. If it starts, then on to the next step. If it doesn’t, make sure it at least cranks, otherwise adios. Test brakes somehow. That could be a bit of work and expense. Agree a/c not a big deal.

Good points David but I wouldn’t say the paint is good. It appears quite faded, not that that would be unusual. I’ll know more when I get to see it in the flesh.

I‘d be very surprised if it fired recently, but if so I‘d assume something must be working in your favor.
If it does not run you might have a word on the price. You could get fuel tanks but they don’t have to be rusted through. Depends on the weather you have and on how much fuel was in there, draining and flushing most advised. And look at the fluids.
The paint doesn’t have to be that bad, maybe you can polish it up but a respray would be a huge pain. You‘ll have to see it in person.

1 Like

I’m thinking at this point if the car starts, to make an offer. I’d moan and groan about the potential expense in making the car reliable. Then low-ball it at $2000-$2500. After he stops laughing I will tell him about the 1987 S3 I bought on eBay for $2000, that it looked great and ran fine (until it blew out all its coolant through the head gasket at high speed in a location where I had to keep going a few minutes more - [on a long, high bridge over a big lake on the QEW approaching Hamilton Ontario] which weeks later resulted in seizing the engine. Man, the bird of paradise crapped all over me THAT day!! Coolant and oil don’t like each other I found out. Talk about watching a grown man cry! Broke my aging heart!) Anyway, back to the plan. I would go up to about $5000 before giving him my phone number. He would envision a secure deal slipping away and starting all over again at square one.

Such an unbelievable life of drama I’ve had! With no sign of stopping! Better than dying of boredom.

1 Like

Finally got more photos.

Now I’m confused, thats a series 3 with those rear lights following the shut line of the boot.

1 Like

Glad I wasn’t the only one!

Sure looked like some kind of a hybrid all along to me. Wait until you see the steering wheel.

Seller maintains the car is original. At the very least that steering looks tampered with, or maybe whatever emblem that was on it came off over the years. I’ll ask. Unfortunately the seller speaks poor English. I can’t ask my wife to call the seller. I don’t dare mention a word of this adventure until the deal is secured. Heaven fear the wrath of a pissed off Thai wife!!

Now, understand my unique life of bizarre drama? Haha…love it!

Interesting car.

Series III bumpers, door handles, wheels, and rear lamps
Series I dashboard
Series II roof

I wonder if some owner changes didn’t occur after the original build?

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Could be, Doug.

Usual or not for a New Zealand assembled car? I don’t know or care. I love those differences! Those lovely, classic rocker switches! But that gawd-awful looking steering wheel won’t even make it back to WNY! {begins web search for an S1 or S2 replacement}

Hmm. The suspense thickens!

Why am I being sent some of these? Where is Hercule Poirot when we need him?

!(upload://vbzHdIt2GK45e47bZXS2EU0EiI9.jpeg)

must be a Series VI (1+2+3), fascinating. The interior S2, the dash S1, the exterior mostly S3 but for the roof…
Fascinating, puzzling, definitely not factory but it looks good.

Double check if everything works!!
The antenna is missing and the speaker is not original of course.
Was the trunk carpeted on the S2?

Can’t remember for sure but I don’t think so. Vinyl covered fiberboard if I recall correctly.

More and better photos will be posted soon.

The hybrid look may relate to a car assembled from various parts, Don…

Parts imported to be assembled in NZ - various versions imported and assembled. Number of cars assembled, various parts from various models now left over…

As Jaguar deliberately evolved the ‘Series’ cars with maximum interchangability; any New Zealander worth his or her salts would see the potential; with minimum cost and effort - make a hybrid. Even if some extra part was required - certainly worth while…

When I arrived in NZ I was amazed by the automotive interest and capabilities available; anything from anything or nothing. Not to insist that yours was assembled in NZ - only that it would not at all surprise me! :slight_smile: If AC is not fitted - it would strengthen the case for a NZ assembled car…

That said; with no rust, verified, and even unverified mileage; I think you have a good one - and I love it too…!

However; if it has been standing for years - starting it up cold turkey is not(!) a good idea. Some preparatory actions are advisable - like some oil in the bores before cranking.

Bypassing tanks by a can of fresh petrol also springs to mind for actual starting. But running the engine for any length of time without change of liquids - and indeed driving without some safety checks is ill advised.

I see nothing to deter a buy - sorting out the interface between the versions will add spice to the process…:). I would not mind being in your shoes!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Series 1 Master cylinder and embossed “Jaguar” in the can covers. Hmmm. Looks very much like a Series 1 engine bay apart from a few accessories. Paul

1 Like

Here better photos plus a few more.

Screenshot_20190812-175002_1 !

Yay, I can see a/c compressor fittings! Even though I will not often be driving it, in Thailand death comes quickly in a non-a/c vehicle.

Notice the Jaguar embossed original hood sound protection. After 35+ years that alone makes the car worth $8k!

From this angle the steering wheel doesn’t look half bad! Give it the beautiful growling Jaguar head, who would be looking at the wheel anyway?

Ok, now for some seller provided information:
Screenshot_20190816-132731_1
Screenshot_20190816-132700_1

Any new comments guys?

BTW, per Frank Anderson’s stern suggestion, I’ve told the seller NOT to start, or allow anyone else to start the car going forward! And that when we do eventually attempt to verify it does run, my mechanic will first pour some special oil into the cylinders, as well as to perform a number of other important precautionary measures.

Just the same old ones, Don - and compliments on pre-start precautionary actions…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like