XJ6 Series III made in New Zealand?

Any oil will do, but if it did run recently the valves might be fine. They are especially important.
The steering wheel is ghastly and easily replaced.
The hose at the coolant cap on the front of the engine seems to be disconnected?
I would like to know if it is a souped up II or a very souped up I. Are the fuel pumps SI or intermediate? The trunk, bonnet and doors are ALL S3. Is it a souped down S3? Why would it be made of so many parts. Last bits and pieces? Extensive repair/modifications?

1 Like

Great questions, we’ll see what the guys have to say. BTW, I also noticed that blocked off hose. I’ve been craning my brain on that one for a sensible reason. I can only assume the tank is not original and was scavenged from somewhere to make do.

Once I clinch the deal, I may order one of these to bring back next time I am in the states. But what’s that story about eggs and chickens?

A very handsome steed, whatever it’s parts!!

One printout as an atttachment was upside down and defied my efforts to rotate it. At first, I thought it was in some Asian script!! An interesting document that deserves perusal.

It sure does look like my 83 in many ways. Front view, rear view.

The “pepper pot” wheels are treasured by many,.

The RHD and 7" outboard lamps suggest a non USA market car

The remote brake fluid reservoir are not S3. More like S2.

Aye, the antena is missing. The hole is in a location found in S3 cars.

The interior of the boot is like my 83!

The device that seems to be a fuel pump is unlike any jaguar part I have ever seen.

The pusher fan in front of the radiator is not a Jaguar
item. Some one’s effort to cope with a hot clime?

Ouch, I don’t see an AC condenser in front of the radiator or a dryer in the vicinity, much less a compressor. The GM sourced Harrisons found there are big and obvious…

Wood trim on the door cards suggest VDP involvement.

Aye, I once lived and worked in a clime in which AC was a need. It is hot here, high 90’s and low 100 F,
A tad cooler than the .former, but, I as a “senior” am smart enough to hibernate.

Plus, recovering from cataract surgery means “light duty”. It went well.

Much entertainment here !!!

Carl

1 Like

Hi Carl. I had a gorgeous black/saddle '82 XJ6 which I bought brand spanking new off the turntable at the Chicago Auto Show. Had it many years until rust finally did her in. The mention of your '83 reminded me of her.

But Carl, doesn’t that look like a compressor line fitting to you? Here I’d gotten myself all excited! My compressor pumps were way down on that side. A major nasty to get at those bolts, and I still have the scarred fingers to prove it.

Personally I don’t care for those pepper pot wheels at all. I’d prefer the US S3 mag style over those, or maybe better yet the chromy S2 beauts!

And yes, that is the Asian Thai script, also referred to as the “paper clip” alphabet. I also am having a great time in the this forum. And immensely helpful and informative too. Love Jag talk!

I think it is an AC fitting but there is no dryer in the S3 location and no fuel cooler visible as in (later?) carbed cars. The compressor could be there.
The thermostat housing with the cap has been in use up to about 1982 (with the fuel injection and all), but I don’t know why it’s there or what for. The tank as mentioned is S3, but the engine, brake system, spray bottle are not. The fan is probably added and so is the relay on the LH fender.
The grille between the wipers is S3. The wipers are not matte black though. I think the complete body shell is S3; the engine and dash have been frankensteined in and the interior but for the boot is likely S2. The fuel pumps are Jaguar for the carbed models with external pumps, still S3 and maybe S2.
S3 have a bigger bracket at the cowl so the serial number can be stamped on it - where the two tubes attach.
The Jaguar emblem on the hood foam means nothing.

You need to keep in mind that on such a highly modified car with many add-ons (speakers, relays and so on especially) any malfunction can mean days of searching and rerouting at best!
Try to get the engine number (at the flywheel, exhaust side, next to dipstick) and do not turn on the wipers like they are…
Yet, if it ran and has AC…

1 Like

Wow, just wow. {scratches head as a major headache brews}

Well, it is 11:13pm and time to say goodnight from Thailand.

Zzzzz (I hope)

And series 3 wood panels on door cards. PEPPERPOT wheels which weren’t offered till 1983. This gets more confusing every moment

1 Like

The A/C pipe in my series 1 hoops up just like that one. Paul

1 Like

Thanks David and everyone else. This car is obviously a conglomeration of any number of Jag models from various years. Now to determine if the car is still worthy of consideration for purchase.

Everybody stay tuned to this topic, because things will become yet even more interesting over time. Today the seller is taking detailed videos of the car at my request. The SD will be posted to me for me/us to review. Somehow I will arrange view access to all of you. Then we’ll really be able to get somewhere.

My wife’s close friend recently married a man from Denmark who is a reknowned classic car restorer. I talked to him yesterday and he will be coming to Thailand mid-October for a few months. I believe he also knows his stuff about engines. He said he would love to check out the car and help with any necessary repairs. I will be all over that because honestly I no longer have the physical strength to do much.

I am going to hold off any potential purchase until October. In the meanwhile I will have reserved the car by wiring a deposit to the seller with his promise to hold the Jag.

It is possible for me to receive the videos in 2-3 days. In the meantime, I will find out how to email large video files. There is a free site which does this and I have used it but I forgot the name. Then I would be able to email them to anybody who requests them.

Now for me set my expectations: Is there a decent chance of a successful outcome, or do I prepare mentally to extend my 10 foot pole?

In the meanwhile I will seek any other sellers here and post those adds for comments.

Lots of entertainment ahead for all of us Jag hopelessly romantics!

If you want a unique Jaguar in seemingly good order, Don - this is it…:slight_smile:

However, it’s uniqueness doesn’t make it valuable, except as a curio. To the extent Jaguar parts are used; getting it going and keeping it going, should pose no problem. And it will behave like a Jaguar, look like one - and is indeed one…

You could look around for another option, of course, but you have a bird in hand…:slight_smile:

An interesting detail to date it is the gearbox fitted - the drivetrain/engine seems like an SI or II, which is no drawback. The body is SIII, as are the pepperpots - but that doesn’t prove anything; they can be swapped at will…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

No quarterlights, door cards, handles, mirrors all say S3 doors. Bumpers, wheels, grille, lights, even antenna hole say same. Boot lettering ditto. Five-pleat upholstery says Daimler/VDP but where are the lumbar adjusters?

Easiest option a tinkered-with 3.4 S3, although I’d expect HS carbs, not HD.

1 Like

The cam covers, AC fitting?
The S2 had perforated seats, the S3 leather.
Body S3, drivetrain earlier, interior mixed.
The videos will be very interesting. Cool car, but might be hiding lots of work.

1 Like

Do those carbs look like 2" (HD8)?
I had HD8s on the 3-carb setup I had in previous lifetime. Had a lot of fun putting that setup on my '72 XJ6. Ran so much stronger. Simple to work with and rebuild. Love 'em.

They are 2” HS8 not HD8. Same performance, cheaper to convert to manual choke

1 Like

Wow, Don, what patience. October ??? No way could I wait that long.

I’d have done a risk/benefit analysis in my brain, realizing the unknown. Checked my budget, and opened negotiation…

I thought I was a patient guy, but you have me beat by miles…

sure am glad I pulled the trigger, two times now. One, got my cataract fixed. Two, switched away from IE to Edge…

Carl

1 Like

Too important for me not to make an avoidable, costly mistake Carl! Not while I have the lowest income of my life. I will finally have to get off the couch and start a new website business pronto! This car is the last item on my bucket list and will allow me to meet the spirit in the sky completely materially fulfilled – and with a winning Jaguar smile!

The basic body shell is Series II, it seems, judging by the roof and fixed quarter glass in the rear doors

The Series III roof is much flatter, and the fixed quarter glass more angular in shape.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

The roof does not look like S3.
Nor does the tag with the body number.
But the grille between the wipers (which is much larger than S2), all doors, the grille, the bumpers, they are.

Don:

Not about to run your affairs. I’ve enough on mine!!

Mistake. As an investment? If so, for sure, it has to be as right as possible. As an entrepreneur to another. Not the best choice, if any at all…

As a toy to fulfill a bucket list. Can’t be a loss, no matter the condition. No huge red flag yet apparent.

Budget: Aye, I know about that. So, will the cost eat it all or is there substantial room for the work that will be surely needed.

And, aye you buy it and the bare costs to fix a bare minimum of issues are not in the budget, it becomes a stone, and fails to fulfill the bucket list thing.

Does the budget assure at least a decent chance at a car that can be driven and enjoyed ? Ok as to the bucket list

If no, not so much??? but not completely so,. many just enjoy the journey far more than the destination ??
I’ve been there…

Carl .

1 Like