XJ6 Series III radiator availability

Hello. I need replace/recore early series 3 radiator. The one that XK unlimited
Doesn’t have. A continuation of s. 2 I understand. What is the difference?
Head tank location? Sensors? At the price xkun is asking, one would hope to convert.
A local rad service, praised by hot rodders, restorers, can recore brass/copper silver solder and stand behind his product. $570. Twice Xk’s if at all possible. Like the man says
If it weren’t for parts and labor it would be cheap. Any thoughts? Thank you. JAY.:smile_cat:

I did a quick check. at one of my favorite suppliers rockauto.com
I’m not sure what year your XJ is but I did a search on a '81 XJ6. I’ve had great luck with Rockauto it’s my first stop for parts.

I fit the later S3 radiator to my Series 1 many years ago, so I’m sure you could fit one to your car. I can’t remember what the early radiator was like. But the later one has “micro fins,” has wide cooling coils at the expense of wider side tanks, and is designed to utilize the brown plastic header/overflow tank. It’s lower left fitting (to the tranny cooler) has an upward point fitting spliced into it,which accepts a hose from the header tank. It has a thermostatic switch on the right side. While an aluminum aftermarket radiator might be better still, I believe that it is an improvement over the S2/early S3 radiator. IMHO.

Thanks, Mark. I’ve visited rockauto and that looks a viable choice and great price. Doesn’t look much different between s2 and s3.

image1.JPG

1 Like

Check Wizard Radiator near Buffalo NY

I recommend an all aluminum radiator for a 79-93 Ford Mustang…
Much lighter, readily available, less expensive…