Xj6 taillights supposed to be purple!

Are the taillights usually purple
On the 1991 Xj6? Would they
Look faded?
I just bought this car and the man
Only took it out on sunny days and
always had it garaged and I’m here
To tell you it shows!!

Yes some were, nothing to do with fading I believe.

1 Like

Your’s is an xj40, Lisa - try the appropriate list. But the color is supposed to be ‘red’ on back lights, but it is unlikely to be anything actually wrong with yours…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Welcome Lisa,

Yes I believe some were.
Over at the XJ40 forum they will know better, so I moved your thread over there.

1 Like

Thank you! I have not heard the term XJ40 before?
This is my third Jaguar and I’m glad I joined because I’m about to be educated!!:grinning::facepunch::yellow_heart:

Hi Lisa! And welcome! When I got my 1992 vanden plas a few years ago, it had “smoke” tinted tailights which appeared to be original since they were somewhat banged up and water would collect inside them. I did a fairly lengthy online hunt for replacements and settled on some red ones due to availability. During my hunt, I did not see any purple ones. That’s not to say that no xj40s had purple, and I believe Robin when he says some cars had purple, but rather I’m wondering if maybe your car is special in other ways as well.

1 Like

They aren’t actually deep purple lol, at least the faded ones I’ve seen aren’t - that’s just one way to describe them. It is a rather disconcerting sickly pinkish shade in the “red” family for sure, not necessarily sun faded but age degraded.
I don’t think the colour is as it was when the car was produced. OTOH all varieties of rear lenses show some degree of degeneration even the smoke variety. I replaced my smoke lenses several years ago which dressed up the ass end of the car no end.

1 Like