XJ6 Tool boxes , but what years?

Wow, Ian,

they look beautiful!!

Just to continue a question Paul asked before: Paul mentioned the hub cap lever is specified only for Vanden Plas versions. Now, to my understanding hub caps - to be levered off - existed only on steel wheels that were in use until SII, maybe also for the stainless full size wheel covers used on SIII cars,

but not on aluminium wheels such as the Kent, the Pepperpot or the Starfish wheel - and I would have assumed that all later Vanden Plas came on Pepperpots.

Very strange, indeed!

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Before I forget, those are known as ā€œEuropeanā€ spec and I have them fitted to my 420G, but the hubcaps have a bad habit of dropping off, and I would like a spare.

They are difficult to obtain in Australia.

If any member has one spare, I would purchase it

please PM me, or comment publicly on availability of these hubcaps

Tony,

Iā€™m fairly sure that standard XJ SIII came on steel wheels in Europe. Kent and later on Pepperpot wheels were stock only on the higher specified versions and optional on standard models.

The full wheelcovers used on the steel wheels tricked you into thinking the wheels were special. Frankly, I donā€™t know the clamping mechanism, but I do know that there were two types of steel wheels around: one with three pins around the inner circle that were used to hold the hub caps in place. The second type does not have these pins and I assume that was the type of wheel sporting the full size wheel covers.

They are available - I just found an ad https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/radkappen-jaguar-oldtimer-4-stueck-radabdeckungen/1251194746-223-7589, guess they can be had for under 100 EUR - but postage to Oz is impressive at a whopping 50 EUR.

So maybe you rather spend the money to come over for vacation maybe ā€¦

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I have these, and they clamp on very very securely. I can see what the tool is for and it looks nice; might bend a piece of sheetmetal and put that in the boot.

The pins are round disks with a chamfer on the steel side. The centre covers snap on, their rolled or folded edge makes for tension. They have to be pushed on with some effort. You could of course try to tighten the cap just a little but thatā€˜d be some effortā€¦
Iā€˜m not sure whether there wasnā€™t a third option with the center cap directly on the wheel. Maybe thatā€™s more 420 or SI.
Without the center cap I think the hub had some kind of ā€šhatā€˜ with a growler emblem in the middle-?

I have had both kinds on my MK2 Jaguar , oneā€™s with 3 pins , wheels come off a V12 E-type , same as series 2 xj , now I have steel wheels off the series 3 , with out the pins , as I am not using hubcaps !

one of mine is missing its centre Growler.

2 departed the vehicle, one I spent ages looking for

Managed to get 2 more + the SS covers, springs and special nuts they use from JagDaim in Melbourne Australia. The nuts have a seating washer that deteriorates

I will see if they have any more centre caps (one is all I want)

The knurled screws, I adjusted them a bit tighter

they have a disadvantage in that the covers have to be removed before a wheel alignment,
I had to work that out for myself, after the alignment shop didnt notice!

Early series 3 cars came with steel wheels which were held in place by lug nuts which simultaneously kept the wheels and their covers in place .Years ago my father owned a 1979 and a half early series 3 fitted that way.

Mel R

Lug nuts with plastic washers that retain the spring loaded hub caps, yes; but also a (possibly optional) center piece that snaps in place over the lugnuts as described above

Hi,

Yes! I have been using it for many years on my XJ6C. A toolkit just like that (complete with lamps and fuses) came with my car from Italy, but I know it belongs to a Series 3 car. At the time of the purchase my coupe also had Ser 3 hub caps and mirrors etc.

Cheers!