XJR? Mesh grille

I’ve been asking on various forums what is the significance of the mesh grille (rather than the usual bars). It appears that this denotes that the car I’m thinking of buying is the XJR version of the x300. Is that right and what are any other differences please.

Hi Alan, my '99 XJR has the mesh grill, basically if it is an R then the engine should be supercharged.
Up til 1998 it would be the AJ16 engine and from 1998 - 2002 its is the AJ27? (Maybe AJ28) with the Mercedes transmission 5 forward and according to a manual I saw online yesterday 2 reverse gears:) Either way nice upgrade from the’40

If an XJR, it will have a very different interior, wheels and suspension to go with the supercharger.

But…the mesh grill inserts are a common add on by many for the change in aesthetics so those alone don’t assure its an R, or the even less common Super V8.

Strange. This one has no supercharger. It is a 1995 model. It does have the sport wheels. Maybe someone jazzed it up to look like a sports model? It is definitely a straight six,

Sounds very much like it has been modified cosmetically. If he is trying to sell as an XJR then it would seem to be under false pretences, try to get the vin no.

Got it. It’s SAJJFALG3BJ729023 and he isn’t claiming it is a sport and specifically says it is not supercharged. My curiosity was just aroused by the mesh and the sport wheels.

Robin,

'98 '99 XJR NA motors were AJ26. In 2000 Jaguar changed to the AJ27 model. Just had an engine overheat event (major) on my '99 XJR. Sourced a '00 31,000 mile replacement motor. Major differences were coil packs, automatic drive plate, Throttle body and left cam reluctor. Found out all this the hard way. LOL

Happy Motoring,

DIck

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

Growing OLD is Mandatory . . . . Growing UP is OPTIONAL … :smile_cat:

I am not aware that any of the 1998/9 V8 XJRs’ were NA, I thought the V8 Rs’ were all supercharged?

My query related to the X300, which had a straight 6 engine. The later XJ8 had the V8 engine and the early ones had the infamous nikasil problem… Re the X300 I was enquiring about, the seller went silent when I pressed some queries.

Hmm interesting:) dah deh dah (compulsory quota of letters)

There are some folks on Ebay selling (stainless steel) grill meshes for the other models of X-300 and XJ8s, as well as other makes of cars. Perhaps the PO bought and installed one of those on your cat.