XJS HE Battery dimensions

John, there is currently what looks like a sump tank advertised for sale on E-bay.The seller,“jvautosalvage631” describes it as an “Evaporator canister.”
Maybe that will help.
Same tank for sale on “Everyday XJ” site.

So - a Yuasa battery fits but which battery?

Hi Dave. Many thanks for the information given, I have been on the site but the Evaporator Canister is not what I was looking for alas. However, I found the site very useful for other items for my XJ-S which I will go back to. What a coincidence with Smiths Industries, I was born in Cricklewood. London. NW2 and my Mother worked at Smiths also on the inspection for instruments for the planes during the war. It is no longer there and is now a huge shopping Centre. Did you live in Cricklewood, if so what road ? I lived in Howard Road just down from The Cricklewood Broadway. I like your XJ-S it looks great. So I will have to keep looking for a possible alternative to the sump tank, or even consider doing without one as my one has completely rusted through? Kind Regards. John

Hi Dave. Thank you for your information, I have looked on the site but cannot see any Evaporator Canister that looks anything like my rusted through sump tank. However, I found the site very useful for other items I will need for my XJ-S. What a coincidence with Smiths Industries! I was born and brought up in Cricklewood, London. NW2 and my Mother also worked at Smiths as an Inspector for the instruments used for planes during the war. Did you live in Cricklewood, if so what road? I lived in Howard Road just off Cricklewood Broadway. I like your XJ-S from your photo, so I will have to keep looking or possibly find a suitable alternative for my sump tank or perhaps decide not to use one as I am in my 85th year so will not be driving fast when I eventually get it on the road.? Kind Regards and happy motoring Dave. John.

Hi Paul. Thank you so much for all the information you have given me, you really are a mine of information. I will now have to do a lot of reading. By the way Paul I have been reading the forums and found you had a nasty rear end collision, you must have been devastated with such a lovely car. But thankfully you were not hurt. I do hope that with your donor car you will be able to remanufacture your own to it’s original condition. Kind Regards. John.

John,
Yes, I am still dealing with my insurance company over a fair and reasonable settlement for the rear end collision damage to our beautiful 1990 XJ-S convertible on 5 December 2023. I hope to get it into a local shop for repairs before the end of March, but then I thought that would happen in January. For now it sits in my shop at home awaiting repairs.

Paul

Just fitted Bosch 22F-550 SM Mega Power Plus - short in length but fits snug in the box although the top frame apart from being longer is also a bit wide for the battery. Should have stuck with the ACDELCO but the Bosch has 30 more CCA but a little less AH.

Hi . Sorry for delay. The battery is Yuasa YBX3030. 12V 72 Sh 630 A(EN) and fits nicely with the battery box and top bracket. Regards John.

Wow - I’m suprised. Data says 260174225 The Bosch is the same width but 205mm high and only 240 which is way short. I’ll double check the box dimensions. With the cables properly interlaced I can just get the top on.

Hi Dave. I have now purchased a good used sump tank on Ebay thank you

IMG_6535.JPG
IMG_6536.webp

IMG_7399.JPG
and refurbished as new. On taking out my XJ-S Gas tank I found it contained lots of old varnish/rust within, so my friend offered his cement mixer as a good way of cleaning it with a bucket of granite chippings which will be followed by a steam clean then a repeat on the mixer but using thousands of stainless steel needle roller bits to ensure all the rust is removed. We found several pin point holes in the base of the tank which he will braise up. So looking forward to getting both tanks back in and checking out. My 1990 XJ-S V12 Signal Red Convertable was garaged for 12 years so during the last 4 months I have been working on mostly cosmetic renovation, carpets, chrome work and trim etc including a wonderful leather dye treatment which has restored the leather to as new condition. It has certainly given me great satisfaction seeing my XJ-S returning to a lovely condition. My next project will be the engine with lots of help from my enthusiastic colleagues. Hope you like the photos. Regards. John from Cambridge, England.

(Attachment IMG_6536.webp is missing)

If you’ve got holes, you’ve got thin areas that are not yet … yet … holes, but will be.

After brazing the holes up, put the tank in water and pressurize some (shouldn’t take a lot) and look for bubbles.

If no bubbles, I read here where some have lined the tank with some type of coating (not sure what was used).

When I get to my tank, I may check into coating the inside of it.

Hi Jerry. Thank you for your prompt reply. I received a reply from Jag-Lovers Forums saying my email could not be sent due to inadmissable images. So I am surprised you received my comments. Did you see any of the images I sent? Regards John. Bentleyt1

your images came through.
Your web page attachment was not

I think you had an extra “p” at the end of one of your image your names:
“IMG_6536.webp”

Try uploading that image again, making sure the name and location are correct

Hi JimD, Thank you, I still have to upload the cement mixer spinning round with the gas tank attached though. Regards John.

Hi John,
Sump tank looks great, and so does the chrome. There is nothing better than new chromework. Hope it doesn’t cost as much as it does here!
Dave.
IMG_2434

Hi Dave. Your chrome bumpers look great and obviously new, how much did they cost over there? I was so lucky with my front bumpers and grill which were only £75.00 on Ebay and over 30 years old, mind you I spent a couple of hours cleaning and polishing them, which the guy selling them found in his dad’s garage when he passed away. I hope to upload the video of the cement mixer spinning round with the gas tank when I find how to do it. Kind Regards John.

Hi Dave . A couple of photos before and after using the magical leather dye you can see in the adjacent plastic bottle. They mix up the correct original colour if you send them the VIN number of the car. The seats and all the leather trim etc look like new again. Regards John.

1 Like

John, as we are straying way off topic now, I’ve sent you a P.M.!